Sunday, March 1, 2015

Cooking

Here's how cooking works for me, right now. There are some meals that I can usually cook, without big problems.
  • Burritos
  • Burgers
  • Mac and Cheese
  • Orange Chicken
  • Mashed Potatoes (but they take way too long to cook, so forget it.)
  • Pork Roast or Pork Tenderloin (I'm told there's a huge difference between the two)
Basically, I can cook food which has instructions on the food wrapper.

Every week, I try to do one or two new recipes, from a cookbook. The idea is that, if I find a recipe that's good, I'll add it to the list of meals I can cook. So far, I get about one good recipe, for every four or five I try. Or at least, that's my success rate with Internet recipes and The Nancy Drew Cookbook. I'm still three recipes away from finishing the book! Hopefully I'll get it done, and have my video review uploaded, soon.

The next cookbook I'm trying is 25 Minute Meals. Oh, and Katie did three recipes from Irish Pub Cooking, but they all bombed.

I should note that little Mary refuses to eat anything with onions in it, or anything spicy. This includes foods that look spicy. She hasn't learned that foods can look spicy, without tasting spicy.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Michael, I would highly recommend that you watch "America's Test Kitchen" on your local PBS station.
I've tried at least a hundred of their recipes and have never been disappointed. They test and taste each recipe until it's perfect. If something looks appealing to you, you can usually watch the recipe (without subscribing) on their website: http://www.americastestkitchen.com/ and get the exact recipe along with helpful tips on how and why a recipe works.

lence said...

In terms of cookbooks, I like Jamie Oliver's 30minute meals (he also has 15 minute meals). Obviously not because they take 30 minutes, but cause it means they are simple. He is known for promoting the idea that cooking tasty food doesn't have to be complicated.