Thursday, February 26, 2015

Wedding Reception Stuff

To repeat my question from yesterday, do we really need an MC for a post-wedding dinner? Mom insists we need someone to act as MC, but it's a dinner! Like...what is there to announce, at a dinner? "Hey, everyone, they're having seconds on the pasta salad, so if you want more, just head on to the chef's table!"

I dunno, this is probably a situation where I'm oblivious to what happens at wedding receptions.

Here's some backstory. Katie and I met with the wedding reception planner, in December. She gave us the schedule of events, for a typical wedding reception. It was something like this:

Hour 0: Everyone mingles around, outside or in the hallway.
Hour 1: Beverages and hors d'oeuvres get served.
Hour 2: The doors to the dining room open up, and everyone goes inside. They start eating dinner.
Hour 2.5: Katie and I arrive.

So, everyone has to wait an hour, before they get drinks. And they have to wait another hour before they're allowed inside. And Katie and I have to wait two and a half hours, before we arrive! As our six-year-old daughter can tell you, that's too much waiting! I instantly pulled out my revision pen and went to work.

Hour 0: Beverages and hors d'oeuvres are served, while everyone mingles around outside or in the hallway.
Hour 0: Katie and I arrive, as soon as we can. Our arrival time will depend on how many pictures people will force us to take after the wedding.
Hour 1: The doors open up, and everyone goes inside.

Yes, my ideal schedule involves food as soon as possible. Food is delicious.

I'm told that the bride and groom are supposed to arrive late, so they can make "a grand entrance". But to be honest, that seems kind of shallow. Katie and I don't need to have a big crowd, watching us walk inside. We're confident enough in ourselves, that we don't need to be the center of attention at all times. (Plus, I get really shy and nervous around big crowds.) So we're going to go in like normal people, and if the guests make a big deal out of it, well, they'll make a big deal out of it. But forcing everyone to make a big deal out of us is pretty self-centered.

8 comments:

Mike said...

I like your way much better. And you're right, food is delicious.

Abby said...

I like your plan much better. It's more sensible.

Katie said...

Your plan does sound nice. However it is great to get some nice wedding photos. They generally take place after the wedding due to a superstition I know you don't hold to. Maybe take some nice wedding photos of just you and Katie before the wedding, then the wedding, then y'all can head right over and start munching along with everyone else. Nothing wrong with a more humble/down to earth way of doing things!

Katie Nelson said...

I like you're way better too. The bride and groom don't need to be the center of attention all the time. It would be better if you just got there as soon as you can and be just like anyone else there. Also, food is delicous :p, it should come sooner rather than later. :D

lence said...

ditto

Anonymous said...

I totally agree that the sooner you can get people eating, the better. Hungry guests definitely aren't going to be having a very good time. And I seriously doubt your pictures will take 2.5 hours.
You don't have to do a big entrance if you aren't into that kind of thing. But your MC can do other things like announce when to get seated for grace, when to heat up to the buffet line (if you're having one), when you're cutting the cake, when you're doing your first dance.

Basically they take on the job of telling people where to go and what they should be doing so you don't have to deal with it and can focus on partying with everybody else.

Allyson Hill said...

Hi Michael!
I LOVE Nancy Drew games! my first Nancy Drew game was Message in a haunted mansion. I JUST your haunted carousel walkthrough and YOU sir are quite funny!! and you sound really cute :) lolz ;)

curtis03 Lewis said...

Superb article!! All this wedding reception stuff is great! Your wedding planning is great. You know I also don’t prefer to have so much crowed in my wedding. I will make it quite personal event.