Thursday, February 5, 2015

Nancy Drew: Girl Detective

For whatever reason, I'm on a Girl Detective kick right now. My plan was to read Books 7-10, but now it's become Books 7-20. They're just so easy to read! Depending on how focused I am, it takes about an hour to plow through one book. I'm halfway tempted to finish reading and reviewing the entire series, in one go.

Once the series hits Book 30, it turns into the "nothing but trilogies" series. I am told the trilogies are awful, awful, awful. The continuity issues become MUCH worse, when the stories are literally connected to each other. I think I'll take a break then.

My main problem with the series is its inconsistency. Take Chief McGinnis, for example. In Book 10, he and Nancy are best friends. In Book 11, he and Nancy actively hate each other. In Book 12, he's mad that Nancy gets all the credit for his work. In Book 14, Nancy's mad because he gets all the credit for her work.

I know there's a new author for every single book, but the editor really needs to do a better job with continuity.

The Girl Detective books are obviously not meant to be taken as seriously as earlier books, and that's fine by me. Sure, I like the more serious and more dangerous mysteries, but I also like books that I can read casually. With a small child in the house, I don't have the time to read an entire book in one sitting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've read some of the trilogies, and found them alright. Of course that was years ago when I was a lot younger. I really want to start picking up some of the books I read back them and decide for myself now what I think about them.