Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Nancy Drew Diaries

I'm a little harsh on the current Nancy Drew Diaries series, because it's double-spaced. That seems like a cheap way to make the books twice as long. I would honestly prefer reading a 90 page, single-spaced book than a 180 page double-spaced book.

Upon inspection, though, the 2004 Girl Detective series is half-spaced. Those books are 140 pages long. So...the two series have books that are about the same length. It's just that the current series is way more obvious in the way it inflates page numbers.

To be completely honest, I see no difference at all between the 2004 series and the 2013 series. They are 90% the same; all they did was remove Deirdre Shannon and some other secondary characters. I find it interesting that the 2013 reboot changed the name of the series, and pretty much nothing else. And when you consider that diaries are not at all a part of the Nancy Drew Diaries series...why did they change the name of the series? There must be a reason to do a total series reboot, only to change as little as possible.

The last Diaries book came out in January, and I still haven't gotten around to reading it. I'll get to it! Eventually. Those reviews are more popular than my reviews for older Nancy Drew books, so I should probably do it sooner, rather than later.

No comments: