Friday, February 6, 2015

First Reading

This is going to be the first reading at our wedding. It's from Songs of Songs 2:8, 10-12, 13b-14, 4:8-11, 6:10, 8:6b-7. I know, it kind of jumps all over the place, but I think it flows well.


Hark! my beloved-–here he comes springing across the mountains, leaping across the hills. My lover speaks; he says to me, “Arise, my beloved, my beautiful one, and come! For see, the winter is past, the rains are over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth, the time of pruning the vines has come, and the song of the turtledove is heard in our land. Arise, my beloved, my beautiful one, and come! O my dove in the clefts of the rock, in the secret recesses of the cliff, let me see you, let me hear your voice, for your voice is sweet, and you are lovely.

You have ravished my heart, my bride. You have ravished my heart with one glance of your eyes, with one bead of your necklace. How beautiful is your love, my bride, how much more delightful is your love than wine, and the fragrance of your ointments than all spices! Your lips drip honey, my bride, honey and milk are under your tongue, and the fragrance of your garments is the fragrance of Lebanon.

Who is she, who comes forth like the dawn, as beautiful as the moon, as resplendent as the sun, as terrible as an army set in battle array?

Set me as a seal on your heart, as a seal on your arm; For stern as death is love, relentless as the nether world is devotion; its flames are a blazing fire. Deep waters cannot quench love, nor floods sweep it away.”

2 comments:

jasini said...

My husband sang "Arise, My Love" by Michael Card at our wedding, based on the same text. I was told there wasn't a dry eye in the place. (I really wasn't paying much attention to anyone else at the time.) :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the song of songs. It's so romantic.