Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Cooking Bess' Secret Chocolate Waffles

(Recipe from the Nancy Drew Cookbook)

You mix together a stick of butter with a cup of sugar, two squares of chocolate, two eggs, a cup and a half of flour, half a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of cinnamon. I had to guess on the chocolate, since mine wasn't in squares. The butter didn't mix, so I put the entire thing in the microwave for a minute and a half to get it to work.

Apparently, Step #2 is "know how to make pancakes ahead of time". Pouring pancake batter into the pan is difficult! The first batch came out completely destroyed, either because they were too big, or because medium-high temperature is too hot for pancakes. I should also note that flipping pancakes is impossible to do.

To my surprise, it turned out that a half of the sugar didn't mix into the batter. I have no idea why. Maybe that half-cup was just grumpy.

So I made the pancakes, and of course, I served them with ice cream, like Bess suggests. Maybe that's why Bess is so overweight. She puts ice cream on everything. The pancakes ended up being okay, considering that they're supposed to be waffles. They actually tasted a bit like a flat chocolate cake. I imagine they taste a lot better, if they were made by someone who knows what they're doing.

My family couldn't be bothered to eat the special breakfast I made for them. So I give my family a ZERO out of 10.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those sound delicious and fattening.

Anonymous said...

Maybe don't make pancakes with waffle batter? They're different enough to not exactly be interchangeable.

Anonymous said...

Hehehe. The butter should first be melted and then mixed in with the sugar with hand mixer. Or with a whisk but that takes a lot of hand power. I would try and substitute chocolate chips in for the chocolate or else melt the chocolate and then whisk it in the sugar and butter mixture.

For the actual cooking of pancakes, try measuring out 1/4 cup of batter at a time and then put them in a preheated pan on medium heat. The pancakes will be ready to "flip" (try turning them over with wooden spoon and a fork) when "bubbles" start to appear in the middle.

Sounds good though!