Sunday, January 4, 2015

Wedding Reading

I'm still working on the readings for my wedding, kind of. I'd like to have something from Song of Songs, the book in the (Catholic) Bible which is a long love poem. The recommended reading from that book is kind of crazy, by which I mean "it skips straight from chapter two to chapter eight".

Here's the recommended reading, in full. I also included two parts I liked, from chapters 4 and 6. I hope I can edit them down, into a coherent reading. Basically, I'd do this by removing lines, because the 28-line reading is a little long.

Hark! my beloved-–he comes, springing across the mountains, leaping across the hills.
My lover is like a gazelle or a young stag.
Here he stands behind our wall, gazing through the windows, peering through the lattices.
My lover speaks; he says to me, “Arise, my beloved, my dove, my beautiful one, and come!
For see, the winter is past, the rains are over and gone.
The flowers appear on the earth, the time of pruning the vines has come,
and the song of the turtledove is heard in our land.
The fig tree puts forth its figs, and the vines, in bloom, give forth fragrance.
Arise, my friend, my beautiful one, and come!
O, my dove in the clefts of the rock, in the secret recesses of the cliff,
Let me see you, let me hear your voice, for your voice is sweet, and you are lovely.
Catch us the foxes, the little foxes that damage the vineyards; for our vineyards are in bloom!
My lover belongs to me and I to him. He feeds among the lilies.
Until the day grows cool and the shadows flee, roam, my lover,
Like a gazelle or a young stag upon the rugged mountains.” (Song of Songs, Chapter 2)

You have ravished my heart, my bride;
You have ravished my heart with one glance of your eyes, with one bead of your necklace.
How beautiful is your love, my bride,
How much better is your love than wine, and the fragrance of your perfumes than any spice!
Your lips drip honey, my bride, honey and milk are under your tongue;
And the fragrance of your garments is like the fragrance of Lebanon. (Song of Songs 4:9-11)

Who is she who comes forth as the morning rising,
fair as the moon, bright as the sun,
more terrible as an army set in battle array? (Song of Songs 6:10)

Set me as a seal on your heart, as a seal on your arm;
For stern as death is love, relentless as the nether world is devotion;
its flames are a blazing fire.
Deep waters cannot quench love, nor floods sweep it away. (Song of Songs 8:6-7)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite lines & the last line, "many waters can not quench love.." We had that verse on our wedding programs & napkins at our reception.

A fan said...

That's beautiful..<3