Sunday, December 28, 2014

Star Trek: The Next Generation

I finally got to watch some episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation. The show was made about 20 years after the original Star Trek series.

My main problem with Star Trek was the main character, Captain Kirk. Kirk is kind of awful at his job. He spends most of his time chasing after women, he destroys/ruins a large number of alien civilizations during his peaceful missions, and he rarely listens to anyone besides himself. His only redeeming quality, as a captain, is his ability to come up with creative solutions to tough problems.

I think The Next Generation is an improvement, in terms of the captain. Picard is an older, seasoned captain, so his leadership style is different from Kirk the young hotshot. Picard isn't a womanizer, and he doesn't make as many impulsive decisions that almost get everyone killed.

I didn't see much of Captain Picard in the four episodes I saw, which I think is another improvement. Not every single episode is about the captain. I liked that because, hey, the other characters are interesting, too!

Commander Riker and his awesome beard stood out as the best character, in the episodes I saw. He fought Klingons, he protected his friends, and he forced everyone to watch clips from old episodes. Um...that last one wasn't so good, but the rest of his screentime wasn't so bad.

No comments: