Sunday, December 14, 2014

Movies

Movies did badly this summer. In terms of how much money was made, it was the worst summer since 1997. Sales dropped by 30%, and no movie made more than $300 million in the US.

As a compensation, the average price of movie tickets increased to $8.33. I want to know which theaters are keeping the average down, because none of the theaters where I live charge under $10.

I've mentioned this before, but I don't understand the economics behind this. I was told "high demand = higher prices", "low demand = lower prices". But this is a case of "low demand = higher prices". And besides, won't people be less likely to visit theaters, due to higher ticket prices?

Some critics are accusing the ads that theaters play in front of movies. Yes, it is annoying that you have to sit through a half hour of advertisements, before the previews start. And since previews are glorified ads, it can be something like an hour of ads before the movie begins. But that's been happening for years at this point, so I don't know why it would turn people off of movies right now.

People are also accusing online streaming / DVDs. It used to be that the home edition of movies came out 9 months after the movie did. That waiting time has been shortened to about 3-4 months, in order to cut down on piracy. But now that there's a shorter waiting period, people are more likely to skip seeing the movie in theaters, in favor of getting it when it comes out on DVD or Netflix.

What do you readers think? I didn't watch any movies this summer, besides Hercules. That's because there were no movies I wanted to see. I guess you could say I was motivated by lack of interest.

2 comments:

Katie Nelson said...

Oh I rarely watch movies in theaters, especially recently there haven't been any good ones.

Anonymous said...

It's probably because the movies sucked. :P I've only seen Guardians of the Galaxy this year which was pretty good. But other than that I didn't see anything I was interested in.