Friday, November 7, 2014

Youtube Copyright Stuff

Recently, a dating sim company attacked my YouTube channel. They took down twelve videos and threw two copyright strikes at me.

I did not expect this at all, considering that the game in question is getting discontinued in twenty days.

I don't know why their singular action counted as two strikes, not just one. Maybe there was an error with YouTube's automated system? I certainly hope it was a mistake.

This past week, I've been having my friend/expert person, Adrian, go over things. They tried to fix the problem behind the scenes, but no dice. Adrian says my only option at this point is to directly contact YouTube at the relevant email address, copyright@youtube.com.

I'm slightly afraid to bring the issue to YouTube's attention. It's possible they will agree with me, and say "one takedown = one strike". But it's also possible they will go the other extreme and say "twelve videos removed = twelve strikes". What do you readers think? Should I message YouTube in hopes of getting one strike removed? Or should I avoid messaging YouTube, in case they decide to remove my channel all together?

8 comments:

bug2506 said...

I know of other youtubers that have had problems with youtube giving the wrong amount of strikes and they contacted them and got it straightened out but on the other hand I dont wanna tell you to do that and your channel get taken down cause you and a whole lot of other people would be mad at me for giving bad advice. I think its ridiculous that you got two strikes for one offense and as far as I know this is the first time this has happened to you. So good luck on whatever happens and if you really feel that you were given and unfair amount of strikes Id say something.

Anonymous said...

I kinda think you should just contact YouTube, I think that either they will agree (cuz it was two playlists right) or they will say well it was one thing so you get one strike! I wish you the best of luck!!!! 😏😏😏

Elizabeth Pfeffer said...

I think you should contact youtube too so they can explain why you got the strikes and maybe they can remove them.

Elentarien said...

I agree with commenters here (so far) that you should just contact them. There's a chance it could go sideways and your channel could be removed (technically you should be able to start another, in that case), but there is also the chance that they'll decide the charge is ridiculous and remove the strikes entirely. Either way, at least you'll have TRIED and done what you could.

If you leave it, and do nothing, you could get smacked again for something ridiculous, and then you'll be out the channel anyway. Especially when this is the second time you've been whacked for copyright (albeit unfairly, IMO).

I hope it goes well. I enjoy your walkthroughs.

Anonymous said...

I agree...you should contact them. Youtube Copyright issues has been around for a long time, and many popular Youtubers have had to work to correct it for them (Milbee, TheJWittz, and MCGamer, to name a few.)

I personally don't think they'll think it's worth twelve strikes, and if worst does come to worst, it's better than waiting out a year or constantly worrying about getting smacked for something ridiculous. But then again, this IS really important...I would advise doing it.

Good luck

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can take down the videos yourself, create a second, dispensable channel, and post them there, just in case...

Allison said...

Do you think the company HeRInteractive, who seem to be big fans of the Nancy Drew walkthroughs you've produced over the years, would be able to put in a good word for you to YouTube?

Anonymous said...

This sounds like it falls under Fair Use; after all, you're providing commentary and entertainment. If you can, you should look at the precedents YouTube Fair Use cases have set since I think they cover this.