Monday, October 6, 2014

Public Transportation App

I tried using the public transportation app the other day, and it was a disaster. It took at least two extra hours for me to get to my destination.

I set the app to search for a bus route, from my current location. It took me a while to realize that it does not know what "current" means. When it says "current location", the app means "last recorded location". If you move 20 feet, the location becomes outdated, and you have to manually reset your location. What a pain.

But that's not all! The app believes "current time" is "the time you opened the app". So you need to manually reset the time, too. This is incredibly unhelpful, especially if the bus is running late.

The app works on scheduled bus times, unless you specifically look at a specific stop. Then, it will tell you the actual bus arrival times. Wh-why can't it run off actual arrival times in all cases?

No comments: