Thursday, October 23, 2014

Cooking

My cooking experiment this week was Idaho Nachos. I got those at a Mexican restaurant two years ago. Basically, it's nachos, except they have potatoes where the chips usually go.



It's like that, except you use liquid cheese and taco meat instead of bacon.

Sadly, the so-called "easy recipes" on the Internet are hard. They say that you back the potatoes in the oven, which is easy. Then you cut the potatoes in half and scoop out the insides. This is the hard part. There must be a trick to scooping out potatoes, because a third of my potatoes fell apart, right at the start.

(Katie had an alternate recipe that cuts the potatoes into quarters. Sounds even MORE difficult.)

Next, you coat the potatoes with butter and oil. With, erm, a paintbrush. Is it normal to use paintbrushes while cooking? I just used my fingers.

Next, you broil the potatoes in the oven for two minutes. Flip them over, then broil them for another two minutes. This was the first time I used the "broil" setting on the oven. As it turns out, "broil" means "set off the fire alarm", because that's what happened each time. Another third of my potatoes were burned. That is, the skin became black and looked nasty. Despite this, Katie assured me that the meal was undercooked, because the potato skins weren't crispy enough.

In the end, the meal was okay. I kind of messed up on the cheese, because I have no idea how liquid cheese works. Maybe I'll make them again, when I feel like it.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

When using recipes, always use your best judgement. There are a lot of variables based on the equipment and taste of the person who wrote the recipe as well as what you have/prefer. When I first started cooking I followed recipes to the letter, and often wasn't too happy with the results. Now, I use them as guidelines.
With potatoes for instance, it depends on the size of the potato and your oven on how long it should cook - so cooking times will always vary. Stick a butter knife in it and see if it's soft. Also, when it comes to ingredients, if you prefer shredded cheddar over liquid cheese (ugh) then you can always substitute.

bug2506 said...

People use pastery brushes and basting brushes for cooking. They look like paintbrushes but used for cooking. We have some that the bristles are rubber so they dont fall out in the food. As for broiling the broiling setting is really just used to melt or brown something on the food it is not used for cooking. What I do is I watch watch ever it is im cooking until it looks the way i want it to look. I would also suggest not using liquid cheese and use shredded cause the liquid cheese has an odd taste in my opinion. We ususally bake our potatoes at 425 for an hour and they wind up tender but if you use a big potato you might wanna leave it in there and extra 10 mins and we also wrap our is aluminum foil which helps. I hope this helps you.