Monday, September 8, 2014

Cooking

Okay, my latest attempt at cooking burgers worked perfectly. I guess 12 minutes on medium heat is what I need to do. Thanks to everyone for all the help!

My mistakes were using cooking spray--maybe my pan is no-stick to begin with?--and setting it on maximum heat. I was sort of imitating my mother, there. When Mom is in the car, she always cranks the AC to the maximum setting of 4. She never sets it to 1, 2 or 3. Likewise, with cooking, she always puts the stove on the highest setting, unless it's a recipe that specifically calls for the lowest-possible setting.

What's the difference between the various settings, I wonder. I'm told that if you cook on low, it takes longer to cook the food, but it is cooked more thoroughly.

This week, I'm only cooking food I cooked before (minus pork chops--I have no idea what I'll do with those). On Saturday, I cooked spaghetti for the first time. Water bubbled up from the pot and coated the entire stove top. And the sauce smelled like vinegar. I'm not sure what went wrong.

6 comments:

Katie said...

You can use less water than called for to cook pasta. I usually do. You can also lay a wooden spoon across the top of your pot while it's boiling. When the foam reaches the spoon, it settles down a bit, instead of running over everything. You can also blow on the foam to settle it down, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you're only cooking for yourself (for food safety reasons). Also, you'll get a nice facial from the steam. :)

Emily said...

Can't speak to what happened with your sauce but pots of noodles usually bubble over when there's a lot of starch in the water from the noodles. You can fix that by using a bigger pot with more water so the starch to water ratio is lower. If you don't have a bigger pot, drizzle some olive oil (or whatever cooking oil you use) in the water. That will help break up the bubbles so they don't spill over.

Also, if you notice your pot of water is starting to boil up toward the edge and it looks like it might spill onto the stove, turn the heat down slightly so that it's not boiling so heavily.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your engagement!

Anonymous said...

He is getting married? So many girls will be heart broken :/

Anonymous said...

When the water in the pot of pasta starts to rise, pour half a cup water into it, and repeat till pasta is sufficiently tender

Cody said...

How I make Pasta or Speghetti or anything like that, is usually just have about a cup of water or two (depending on the quantity and pot size of course) I then about half a tablespoon of butter and some salt (helps the noodles to not stick together) make sure you stir frequently to prevent them from burning at the bottom.. and what everyone else above said =P