Sunday, August 24, 2014

Poll Results

Remember how Pope Francis put out a worldwide poll about marriage and families and other things? Well, all the results have come in, and they were compiled in a document that was released in June.

The document is over 50 pages long, and I skimmed through it. The thing that struck me the most was that the responses from Africa and Asia are very different from the responses in Europe and the Americas. In the Western World, people have more or less given up on the idea of natural law, in favor of self-determined human rights. In the Eastern World, people still support natural law, but the Catholic Church there is having problems, because people are claiming polygamy and divorce are perfectly natural.

Now, some people have complained that the document is about as interesting as a legal brief. Well, duh. It is a legal brief. It was made in preparation for the big meeting in October. If it didn't sound like legal prep work, I'd be surprised.

The document does a pretty good job of summarizing what's going on, and stating all of the problems people have with the Catholic Church's views on marriage and the family. I'm interested in seeing what the Church's response will be, in October. They've got the list of problems; now let's see the solutions!

The crazy part of me is thinking that Pope Francis will go back to letting priests get married. Then a bunch of married priests will flood the hierarchy and make a bunch of changes, like the crazy people did in the 60's and 70's.

3 comments:

UCD student said...

Hi Michael, I don't know how to send you a message on youtube so I'm posting a comment on your blog. I love your nancy videos - they help me fall asleep at night (I mean that in the least creepy way as possible) because I'm on medicines that keep me up at night! I'm from UCD in northern CA, aren't you from california too? Anyways, you bring joy to many of us - keep up the great work! I'll be reading your blog too if I ever run out of videos to watch :)

- UCD student

Anonymous said...

Speaking of which (and I hope this isn't too personal) do you plan on going back to seminary school?

Lynn said...

Very interesting