Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Cooking Burgers

Now that I am living with two other people, I have been made the official chef of the house. This is a bad idea, because I am no good at cooking. My area of expertise doesn't go far beyond microwave meals or macaroni and cheese.

We've had macaroni and cheese at least four times over the past three weeks. Besides for that, the only successful meal I've made is potato casserole. My other meals, like nachos or chicken with rice, have been met with non-enthusiasm. In the case of the five-year-old, they were met with an, "Ew, yucky!".

I'm still learning how to cook hamburgers. I never cooked hamburgers when I lived by myself, because they come in packs of 6. (Hamburger buns, of course, come in packs of 8. Why don't they match?!). Now that I'm cooking for three, one pack of hamburgers makes up two meals, not an entire week, so it's more reasonable.

The problem is that hamburgers have outsides and insides. It's difficult to get the outside cooked, without burning it. But it's even harder to get the inside cooked! I have no idea how to cook the inside of a burger, without turning the outside of the burger into blackened charcoal, which is what happened when I cooked both sides of the burger for ten minutes.

Last time, I made a mistake with the cooking spray somehow, and all the grease from the burgers jumped out of the pan. The entire stovetop and floor was covered with grease, and my hand was burned. I suppose that's one way to ensure the burgers aren't greasy...

8 comments:

Cody said...

Oh dear... well do you have a stove-top griddle? It makes doing hamburgers a bit easier. What I usually do for hamburgers is I leave them on for three minutes then I flip them. Usually you have to do this twice (so basically 6 minutes per side?) and also if you have a problem where the burgers seem to puff up, make a small indentation in the middle with your thumb (thanks Food Network) for some reason it stops them from puffing. And pressing burgers down into the pan just squeezes out all the juice/grease.(thanks again Food Network) well I hope this helps somewhat if at all... Im not very good at instructions. Sorry!

bug2506 said...

When I cook burgers. I sprinkle just a little bit of salt on the bottom of the pan to help with the burgers sticking. You may want to turn the temp down just a little bit like maybe medium or medium low. When the bottom edge of the burger turns brown flip it and when the outside looks brown and you want to make sure the inside is cooked just lightly press the top side of the burger with the spatula and if clear juices come out its done and if not just flip it again. I hope this helps you with your cooking and please be careful grease burns hurt so bad. Please dont use any more cooking spray that is bad and maybe see about investing in a non-stick frying pan.

bug2506 said...

You could also try making the burgers a thinner in the center that way the burger will cook more evenly

Anonymous said...

Look online for easy recipes. You might want to search for easy slow cooker recipes. I love recipes that I can throw everything in,turn on the slow cooker for 5 hours on high & the meal is ready for dinner later. As far as hamburgers, a food thermometer is handy to know when they have reached an internal temp for doneness.That is what I use for most meats.

Stephanie said...

A grease splatter thing helps with the splattering grease (it's round, and made with metal screen material).

A good sign that the burgers are ready to be turned is when you see the "juices" kind of pool on top, then just a couple of minutes on the other side, remove and let rest 5 minutes and you should be good to go.

Emily said...

I second the suggestion for slow cooker meals. Put the ingredients in and walk away. If you don't have a slow cooker you can usually mimic the results by putting the food in a covered pot on low/medium on your stove. Just resist the urge to keep opening up the lid.

If you're having trouble with burgers, why not get some ground meat and make a meatloaf instead? Mix your meat/onions/spices/whatever and push it into loaf pan (or just kind of roll it into a loaf in a regular pan if you don't have one). Put some ketchup on top and throw the whole thing in the oven for 45 minutes or so and you're good.

Stephanie said...

Michael and Emily...
Another suggestion for meatloaf is to put a piece of foil (approximately the same size as the meat loaf) on a rack on top of a sheet pan, shape your loaf and cook. This method lets the fat from the meat drip away instead of the meat cooking and re-absorbing the fat. You get a better, all over, crust this way as well.
Michael, you should do more cooking blogs.

Anonymous said...

And if you can't cook these, make some soup or cook a fish (which are easy to cook) or make a salad, sushi, or use cold cuts (none of these three need to be cooked!). There are many different meals to be made! Just look for a cookbook, read the instructions, and GO! And if all else fails, don't be afraid to admit, "I can't cook. Can we just buy some takeout instead?"