Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Reboots

When I was a kid, there were lots of remakes/reboots of old properties from the 60's and 70's. We saw movies like Little Rascals, Richie Rich, The Brady Bunch and The Beverly Hilbillies. Even though they were kids films, the target audience was my parents. Mom and Dad more or less forced me to watch and enjoy these movies, based on dead franchises I never heard of before.

I guess 20-25 years is the prime time for rebooting a franchise, because right now, I'm seeing a lot of remakes/reboots of old properties from the 80's and 90's. Sometimes it works, like with My Little Pony movies, and sometimes it's awkward seeing Indiana Jones as an older man. And sometimes, it's "Nintendo, please stop with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time already! You've re-released it five times at this point; either make Ocarina of Time 2 or leave it alone!".

Is there a term like "zombie franchises", to describe something that is a remake of a remake? I'm thinking of something like A Christmas Story, which was designed to capitalize on nostalgia for the 1940's, but now it's surviving on people who are nostalgic because they saw the movie when they were younger. I'm not thinking of something like Nancy Drew or Superman, where every reboot is based on the original series, and not based on the previous reboot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you but I'm sick of reboots and sequels. Hollywood needs some originality. They are just trying to get the popularity that the original got without doing any work.

Syed said...

I could say the same about The Parent Trap. While I did like the reboot, I feel as if the whole act of remaking older movies with whatever actors/actresses are hip nowadays is extremely overdone.