Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Party Conversations

I went to a party the other day, and I felt extremely out of place because the conversations revolved around things I know nothing about. These included:
  • Mechanical engineering. I'm sure what they are building is interesting, but debating which type of cooling tube is best goes way beyond my skill set.
  • HR Departments. I have never worked at a business big enough to have an HR department. I've only encountered the manager-type person, who doubles as HR whenever necessary.
  • Farming and irrigation systems. Apparently, pistachios require a lot less water to grow than oranges do. Fun fact of the day.
  • Building your own gun. Those wacky mechanical engineers, always building things which will probably kill people! I've never actually seen a gun in person.
  • Sermons. People started making jokes about priests, and how they always give long, boring sermons. I wisely decided to keep my mouth shut, since I've given about 50 sermons, most of them confined to a 300-word limit.
  • Class-C Licenses for Non-Profits. Okay, IRS people, now you're trying to prevent other people from joining the conversation.
did manage to hold my own at the start of the party, when the conversation was about baseball. That was basically the only conversation I was able to contribute to.

3 comments:

Sassafras said...

When I'm in that type of situation, normally I try to just create a subject that I do know about, but can trigger people to share their opinions or thoughts on the matter. That's because if there was anything I've learned in life, people truly DO like to talk about theirselves or opinion (like they are facts).

Lol, my point being proven in the comment above, since I've (a)veered the subject of this comment to me, and (b)stated an opinion (gleaned from my experiences, at least) as if it were a scientifically backed-up fact.

Anonymous said...

yikes! I've been in tough spots like that. I usually ask questions that make the person elaborate on their area of interest. (Even though I don't care about car insurence or the state of capital growth for an obscure company etc. ) 2

Stephanie said...

It seems to me that there were a variety of topics being discussed.
I love talking to people about their jobs and interests. While none of the information seems pertinent now, you never know when some little tidbit might be useful in the future.
However, when you get together with a group of people that work together, they tend to speak to only each other and in their own work language. That can be off putting and very dull.