Saturday, June 21, 2014

1940's Comics

During college, I used microfiche machines to read old comic strips. I read the majority of strips from 1938 to 1950. (The newspaper changed the comic strip format around 1950, which is why I stopped).

That's why I was able to notice some historical inaccuracies in Captain America. I've actually read a lot of comics from that time period! There was nothing so bad that it ruined the movie, but I still felt like rolling my eyes every time the female lead had a scene. If you want a realistic portrayal of women in the 1940's, I'd recommend reading Nancy Drew books 17-25.

(On a side note, please tell me the second movie is about Captain America fighting the Japanese. I'm tired of seeing 99% of World War II films being about America VS the Nazis. American fought a second, longer war against Japan at the same time.)

I recently had my two big shoeboxes of 1940's comic strips, shipped out of my parents' house. I now have the project of scrapbooking them all. A good number of them don't have dates, so I have the fun job of figuring out the order they go in. Knowing me, I'll probably make a silly mistake like "miss the strip with the villain reveal" and be confused for the rest of the series.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Peggy, but I was the same way watching it. A woman in the military? Give me a break.