Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Political Extremes

This week, there have been big debates in the Supreme Court about contraceptives. I intended to read some reports about what happened, but I was discouraged by the fact that everyone immediately went to political extremes.


That's something I dislike about our current political climate. On pretty much every debate, you have to pick between the two extremes. In the debate on birth control, that means you are either pro-choice or pro-life. Politics apparently doesn't allow moderate or in-between positions, like these:
  • "I approve of birth control, but not abortions"
  • "I think abortions are wrong, but they should be legal"
  • "I believe abortions are wrong, but they are justified in the case of rape"
I've noticed that both political parties love moderate politicians...provided that they are in the other political party. They dislike moderates in their own party. That might be part of the problem.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I understand your frustration, but if you believe abortion is murder, it's difficult to find a moderate position on it.

Emily said...

I think the reason that there are not moderate positions on these topics is because there should no moderate thinking on them. Either abortion is always wrong for everyone or it's not. Either birth control is wrong, or it's not.

Anonymous said...

^That is called narrow-mindedness.

Anonymous said...

I disagree, that is not narrow-mindedness. It is truth that Abortion is not a neutral subject. It is either murder and needs to be stopped, or it is just a medical procedure. If you truly believe it is murder, than you should believe it is in all cases, rape included, and do everything in your power to stop it. I hate it when people say, "Oh I wouldn't personally do it, but I won't interfere." Well if a woman were standing at the top of a building getting ready to drop her newborn, would you walk away saying that? It really doesn't make sense.

Anonymous said...

^
No. What if your stance was 'no abortions except in cases were the baby is hideously deformed/will not live a well life AT ALL/will die stillborn?' Why put the mother (and the baby for that matter) through that? For rapes while I definitely feel that is horrible, I feel the baby should have the chance at life and they should have the baby then adopt it out.