Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Nancy Drew March Madness

Nancy Drew March Madness is going strong! It's been pretty exciting so far. The closest match was the one between Danger on Deception Island and Shadow at the Water's Edge, with Shadow winning by six votes. Wow! I knew Shadow was a popular game, but I had no idea Danger on Deception Island was so well-liked, too!


Danger on Deception Island is actually near the bottom of my list. The first half of the game is okay, but not very interesting. The second half of the game basically involves ignoring everyone and everything, to go on Hilda's extended fetch quest.


Secret of the Scarlet Hand is another game at the bottom of my list, which did well. Only about a third of that game is fun, in my opinion. The pyramid segment was tedious and takes forever, and the challenge of getting all the jade carvings was not very interesting, gameplay-wise. It's mostly a series of phone calls, made worse by the fact that certain phone numbers can only be called from certain phones, for whatever reason.


I guess what I've learned is that my personal favorites do not match up with the Nancy Drew community at large.

7 comments:

Katie said...

My favorite Nancy Drew game is Secret of the Scarlet Hand! I majored in Art History, though, and my classes on the Maya were some of my favorite, so that has to do a lot with it. I had no idea it was popular and figured it would easily lose.

Cecilé said...

I am actually very disappointed with the results I've seen so far. I think the reason is due to the voting system. Instead of choosing to ""like" or "comment" on Facebook, they should have created a daily poll on Facebook instead so that the voting results are much more accurate although its more work setting up the polls.

I mean come on, how is Secret of the Scarlet Hand much more popular than The Final Scene?! I felt a rush of adrenaline pumping through my body when playing the Final Scene because of Maya's kidnapping and how you had to quickly save her before time ran out. On the other hand, I was bored out of my mind playing Secret of the Scarlet Hand. The storyline wasn't that great in that game although it was very educational. This is my opinion so to each his/her own.

Sparksbet said...

The system is certainly flawed. It is far easier and less time-consuming to "like" a photo than to comment on it, and that has lead to most of these upsets, in my opinion. The only times that the "comment" options won were when one was FAR better than the other - like with Shadow at the Water's Edge vs. Danger on Deception Island and Creature of Kapu Cave vs. Ghost of Thornton Hall.

Katie2 said...

Apparently my favorite games do not match up with the favorites at large as well. I think the one that shocked me the most was this recent one. Shadow at the Water's Edge vs Shadow Ranch seemed like an easy one for Shadow at the Water's Edge to win, but nope. I actually expected Crystal Skull to get much further as well. I had Crystal Skull going up against Ghost of Thornton Hall, so we'll see if I got at least one-half of the final two right! :P

Emily in Wisconsin said...

I have a question: Can you do a post on what you think about the new box art for The Shattered Medallion? I wanna know your thoughts.

Sammy said...

Actually, the second round with SAW and SHA was the closest. SAW had 1,302 votes, and SHA had 1,305. That's pretty crazy! -Sam

Anonymous said...

I think Secret of Scarlet Hand won against FIN because of Sonny Joon's introduction and Sonny's obviously HOT right now