Monday, February 10, 2014

Worst of Blackmoor Manor, Chapter 17

Here is Chapter 17 of my parody story, Nancy Drew: Worst of Blackmoor Manor. Today, Nancy unlocks Brigitte's box.

---


Nancy quickly slipped the time piece into her pocket. "He-hello Ethel," she said nervously.

"What are you doing here?" Ethel asked.

"Um...sleeping?"

"I told you not to go exploring in the manor," Ethel said. "And yet here I find you, at the base of one of the hidden passageways."

"Yeah, the hidden slide is amazingly fun!" Nancy said enthusiastically. "Um, I mean, hidden slide? What hidden slide? I didn't get myself knocked unconscious while standing on the hidden slide! I like sleeping on hard, tiled floors!"

"And this is exactly what I warned you about," Ethel said. "It is too dangerous for a girl of your...capabilities to explore the manor. You will get hurt again, if you keep this up. That is why you must desist immediately."

"I'm not going to stop my investigation," Nancy said stubbornly.

"You are here to determine why Linda is sick, not to hurt yourself playing with slides!" Ethel said. "I cannot do anything now that you are here, but know this: the second your 'investigation' is over, I will ensure that you are no longer welcomed at Blackmoor. Good day."

Ethel turned around and marched off angrily.

"Meanie Bossy Knees!" Nancy called after her. Nancy slowly got off of the ground—her body hurt a lot—then consulted the notebook. It said that Brigitte Penvellyn hid a telescope lens in the box in her room. Brigitte's room was Nancy's bedroom, so she went directly there. As she passed by Jane's room, she heard singing.

Brigitte with her eyes so bright
Looks towards heaven at midnight

On the longest night of year.
That's the time she holds most dear.
"Starry friends," she's often heard to say,
"How I wish that I could make you stay!"
Even though they can't remain,
Time will bring them 'round again.

"Hmmm...a song about Brigitte..." Nancy said to herself, thinking for a moment. "Nah, that can't be a clue! It's probably just a coincidence."

Fortunately, no one had moved Brigitte's box for a few hundred years. It was sitting on a chair, in the corner of the room. The box was a perfect six-sided cube, with each side containing an animal picture. Each face of the box had knobs, which let Nancy change the colors or cover things up to match various moon phases.

"What?" Nancy asked.

Nancy lay on her bed, and she played around with the weird box for a while, until she noticed that there were star charts on the wall. She thumbed through them, in search of the proper one.

"How do I know which season I'm looking for?!" Nancy complained. "If only I had some sort of song to act as a clue!"

Nancy decided to forget the constellations and seasons, and she focused on the animals drawn on the star charts. Matching them up with the sides of the box, Nancy solved the puzzle. The box opened to reveal the telescope lens.

"HOORAY!" Nancy said.

Then she realized she didn't have a telescope.

"D'oh!" she said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these stories! I hope you do one from Alibi in Ashes or Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake. I can't wait to read more!