Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Little Pony

The reaction to this week's episode of My Little Pony was mixed.  Personally, I thought it was okay;  I'd probably watch it if it was on TV, but I wouldn't set my DVR to record it.


Complaint #1 that people have is repetitiveness.  Every time the shy pony has an episode, she learns the lesson "I should not be so shy".  Seriously, she has no other storylines.


This doesn't bother me, because I noticed the repetitive storylines a long time ago.  The hardworking pony always ends up trying to do everything by herself, then she burns out and learns she should ask her friends for help.  The overly competitive pony always learns that friendship is more important that sports.  The constantly-partying pony always learns that she has a drinking problem and needs to find help.


Okay, I made that last one up, but it leads us to Complaint #2.  Pinkie Pie is the comedy relief character of the show. Whenever she's the main character, she is complex and has actual emotions and motivations.  Whenever she's not the main character, she is reduced to "one point punchline".


The writers try to keep it consistent, in that the joke is usually "Ha ha, Pinkie is hyperactive" or "Ha ha, Pinkie is silly and random".  Sometimes, you see "Ha ha, Pinkie is an idiot."  This week, the joke was "Pinkie is a complete jerk but doesn't know it", and...well, fans didn't like seeing Pinkie act like a jerk in every scene.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never watched my little pony because my parents don't allow me to.
But, why do you like the show? Any particular reason?

Miriam said...

@Anon - Here, this should help a bit :) http://doggonepony.deviantart.com/art/Illustrated-Guide-To-Bronies-391706941

Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch Miriam!

MysteryOwl21500 said...

I totally agree with you on Fluttershy. (I think that's the shy one's name). I wish they would give her an episode where she OVERCOMES her shyness! I mean, I like her character and all but it gets really annoying. Especially when this their 4th season.... I also agree with you on Pinkie Pie because it's like she doesn't know how to be calm. And when she is, BAM! 5 seconds later she is all crazy again....