Saturday, January 25, 2014

Nancy Drew: The Hidden Staircase


Huh, there wasn't much of a reaction to the idea of a Nancy Drew Mega Marathon.  I might do it anyway. My girlfriend is busy on Saturdays, so I don't have much going on.


Well, besides for all the writing I keep putting off, and the video walkthroughs.


One writing project I really need to hurry up with is my review of Nancy Drew: The Hidden Staircase.  This is the second book in the Nancy Drew series.  I have the original 1930 edition, and the rewrite, and let me tell you: the original is so much better.


I only read the first few chapters, but both versions start with Nancy meeting Nathan Gomber/Gombet. In the original version, the two of them get into a huge fight, and he tries to hit her, prompting her to call the police.  In the rewrite, Nathan is more of a sleazeball than a hothead, and Nancy politely asks him to leave.


Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was more interesting to see Nancy get in a fight than it is to see her calmly discussing legal matters.  Nathan is definitely more dangerous in the original; in the rewrite, he's more of a con artist than a dangerous person who is likely to kill you.


The rewrite has five fewer chapters than the original, so it condenses things a bit.  In particular, the storyline about Nancy going to solve a mystery at a haunted house.  This gets brought up in Chapter One of the rewrite; I'm on Chapter Three of the original, and Helen Corning is still nowhere to be found.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, seeing Nancy fighting is much more interesting than seeing her calm. Probably because you don't see her like that very often. Also it is more realistic, I'd say.

Anonymous said...

With all due respect, I disagree. I find swapping a fight for talking out a problem a more positive message. What’s more powerful: your fist, or your words? Personally, that’s one of the reasons I liked the Nancy Drew books growing up: it wasn’t fighting oriented. Nancy solves most of her problems by mentally outsmarting her opponent; she rarely physically fights. I like movies, TV shows, and books when problems are solved by talking.

“Twelve Angry Men” is nothing but a jury talking out the conflict of the movie. Now though, a lot of jury/crime movies involves members of the jury being stalked, shot at, blackmailed, car chased, attacked, etc. I think it’s a step backwards, appealing to the lowest common denominator with fancy explosions instead of making the audience think about the problem.

Now, that’s not to say every single problem can be solved by talking. Obviously in the “Stay Tuned for Danger,” talking to Dwayne as he was getting ready to strangle you, would not have worked. In that case, being physically subdued was needed. But that should be the exception to the rule, instead of the expectation

Anonymous said...

A Nancy Drew marathon would be awesome, but I would do only the last ten games not all of them. You don't want to get burnt out on the ND games!

Anonymous said...

Strangely upset you have a girlfriend. I have such a big crush on you!

Katie Nelson said...

I just thought I would say, one time, I was thinking about ideas for new ND games, and I thought Curse of the Witch would be a good idea........but then I realized that the abbreviations for it was COW, and I couldn't think of a good way to fit a cow in the story line just for that reason so I left the name be....but be prepared!!! I'm gonna come up with a good way someday!!! You'll see!!!! :D MOOOOOO!!!!