Saturday, January 18, 2014

Disney Movie Titles

When I watched The Little Mermaid recently, a four-year-old girl picked it out. She didn't call the movie by its name; she said, "I want to watch Ariel".


This has happened to me before.  I remember one little girl who told me she wants to watch Jasmine.  Apparently, she doesn't know that Aladdin is the title character of the film.  Then again, she can hardly be blamed for that. She's a little girl, and Disney markets Princess Jasmine to girls about a million times more often than they market Prince Aladdin to boys.


And this is part of the reason why I still think it was a bad decision to rename Rapunzel as Tangled.  There is nothing wrong with naming the movie after the main character. In fact, it works much better than using a passive verb.


What alternate title could have been given to Frozen?  The original title was The Snow Queen.  Also, now that I've seen the movie...holy moly, the original preview was horrible and had nothing to do with anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know, I know!

Frozen should have been called;

"My little Elsa; Anna is Kristoff"

It features all three main characters and it steals the six word title from MLP;FiM.

Hooray...!

Anonymous said...

I thought Tangled was named that *because* Disney is trying to break out of its little girl market. Instead of making the movie/title all about her, they include the boy almost equally, thus appealing to the little boy demographic as well.

GameOverTown said...

I don't know about you, but the Disney movies I watch are more along the lines of... Lincoln.