Friday, January 31, 2014

Choices

People want elaboration on what I said yesterday. If you have a choice between two actions, there are three logical possibilities:

1. A choice between two good actions
2. A choice between two bad actions
3. A choice between a good and a bad action

If the two choices are polar opposites, then you are in Situation #3.  Logic dictates that it is impossible for two actions to be polar opposites, while having the same moral classification.

The philosopher Aristotle would disagree.  He teaches that there can be two opposite actions which are both bad. Here's a chart to illustrate this:

Opposite ActionsBad Version of #1Bad Version of #2
Love and HateLoving my neighbor's wife, i.e. adulteryMurdering my neighbor's wife
Truth and LiesTruthfully insulting peopleLying to get away with murder
Exercise and LazinessExercise yourself into a comaNever exercising ever

Aristotle concludes that the right thing to do is always in the middle of the two extremes.

---

Also...



"Admonish the sinner" is #3 on the list of spiritual works of mercy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool. I really dig that picture. Hope you don't mind if I saved that picture with my other pictures, because it is so awesome!!!:):):) It will be nice to have that for me to remember that I am not judging when I tell someone that they are doing something wrong.:D God Bless, Michael.:) Later!