Thursday, December 19, 2013

Three Things Thursday

1. Well, looks like I didn't win the $600+ million lottery this week.  :(

2. You know, I've seen a lot of people who like inspirational quotes along the lines of "be independent", "think for yourself" and "never let other people decide who you are".

Those are all fine sentiments, but...isn't it contradictory?  All of those inspirational quotes are commands, which order you to think and behave in a certain way.  If I'm independent and think for myself, I won't follow the advice of an inspirational quote, especially one which is telling me what to do.

3. Recently, all the translations I've seen have been really unforgiving.  These translators seem to care more about sticking to the original language than they care about making sense in English. I'm even seeing what I call a translation "worst case scenario", where the translators leave words in the original language instead of translating them.

I do not care how good of a translator you are; your text will not sound like English if it contains words that aren't in English.

2 comments:

GameOverTown said...

"I do not care how good of a translator you are; your text will not sound like English if it contains words that aren't in English."

But Michael, that ne fait pas du sense!

Anonymous said...

Maybe the problem is that you don't know enough words in English?