Tuesday, December 3, 2013

My Little Pony - Episode 3

Episode 3 of Season 4 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic aired on Saturday.  The story is that our heroes have gone to the scary castle in the woods.  They're split up into three groups, and they all end up scaring each other accidentally.  At the end, everyone learns a lesson about not being afraid because FRIENDSHIP.

I liked this episode better than the premiere, probably because it was more light-hearted. There were some nice funny moments, and I guess it was interesting to see Rarity and Fluttershy paired together.

You know, that's something which bugs me a bit about MLP.  Their friendships are all sort of vague.  I prefer something like 6teen, where everyone is friends in general, but it's still clear that Jen is Caitlyn's best friend, Wyatt is Nikki's best friend, etc.  The friendships are also clearly defined in Nancy Drew, where all three are friends in general, but Nancy's best friend is Bess, not George.

So...Rarity. Who is her best friend?  It's gotta be either Twilight or Fluttershy, I guess.  In Season 1, they established that Rarity and Fluttershy are spa buddies in the modeling episode, but...the two haven't really been seen alone together since then, until today's episode.  That's odd.

The episode ended with the characters starting a friendship diary because FRIENDSHIP.  I suppose this will replace the "friendship letters" mechanic that they used in earlier seasons.  I wonder if they'll actually use it, though.  They only had friendship lessons twice last season, as compared to having one in every episode of season one...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think they're vague. I think they're just that interconnected and dependent on one another as a group. They all need each other equally. They all are foils to each other in different ways. It works. There doesn't need to be any 'best-friendship' among them. And Rarity isn't the only one - try naming a definitive best friend for any of them. Aside from maaaaaaybe Applejack/RD, I can't.

And I never got the impression that Bess was ND's best friend over George. If anything, I always felt that Bess and George were much closer than Nancy was to either of them (which makes sense, since they're together most of the time and are, well, related).

I'm sure the journal will be important later on, just as Twilight's letters were important in encouraging her to defeat Discord once and for all.

MysteryOwl21500 said...

I have not been able to watch Season 4. Is it better than the other seasons so far?