Thursday, November 7, 2013

Three Things Thursday

1. When the government shut down last month, pretty much every news report I saw said, "Oh no! This could put us back in the recession!".  And my reaction was, "But we never left the recession!".

Seriously, it bugs me when news reports (and President Obama) pretend that the economic recession is over now.  I'm sorry, but the economy has not been fixed.  It is still near-impossible for people to get jobs.  Things might be better than they were in 2008, but they are nowhere near as good as they were in 2007.

2. I don't understand why people say Christopher Columbus proved the world was round, not flat.  Everyone already knew that, thousands of years before Christopher Columbus was born.  Aristotle talks about it in his work on astronomy, unless I'm mistaken.

3. I'm in a choir that's doing a special concert for Christmas, and I'm not feeling good about it. I know I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is. Choir practice last night caused the back of my neck to start pounding like crazy, and I was feeling dangerously light-headed.  You know, the kind of light headed where it feels like the area behind/above your eyeballs has been scooped out.  At a few points, I felt the need to pant in order to get air back into my body.

On a positive note, I didn't get a sore throat like I have at other practices!  Still, I wonder what I did wrong.  Maybe I drink too much vodka before choir practice.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you should get that neck pain checked out. You could just be so out of shape that standing for so long puts too much stress on your body. It happens! Or maybe it's bright stage lights? Just pop some painkillers, then chase it with a shot (or two or three).

Nigel said...

Google it. Other people who have also experienced that pain while singing will probably know what to do.

Anonymous said...

You drank vodka? Or is that a joke? I can't tell, but if you really did drink vodka, then I'm shocked, because that was the least thing I expected you to do.

Vast Universe said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA Michael sits around all day drinking vodka and playing Nancy Drew games. I can just imagine it... probs because I like to drink wine with an ND game sesh. The puzzles become a real challenge finally. Oh and PS there's an ND drinking game created on Tumblr. Take a shot whenever Nancy says it's locked or dies... etc.

Feel better for real though. :)

Anonymous said...

Anon, A LOT of people drink alcohol. Get used to it. He's, what, 27 years old? It's not like it makes you a bad person or anything.

Anonymous said...

Michael do you drink???

Anonymous said...

Whether or not he drinks (I don't care, because it doesn't matter), I took that line as a joke. Kudos to him if I'm mistaken =P

Breanna;) said...

I feel like that to sometimes, but it's a little different than what you described. I get lightheaded like you're saying and then everything just kind of fades, like I can't see anything for about a minute and I can't breathe good either. It's really weird.

Anonymous said...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Michael is an alcoholic!!! Why, Why, why???

Anonymous said...

I drink too! Pepsi ;D

Anonymous said...

Michaels going to die from kidney or liver disease! Nancy Drew would be so disappointed in you! :(

Anonymous said...

Who knows, she might have a drink now and then if she was actually of age *insert joke about how she's really 80+ years old*

Anonymous said...

:"(

Anonymous said...

As an experienced chorister, I'll try to help you out on 3. If you are standing with your knees locked, it can lead to the "lightheadedness, seeing spots" experience.

Other things that can cause it are vagus nerve problems, specifically around your lower back. Make sure you are standing with your lower back in a fairly neutral posistion - if you have a tendency to lock your knees, you probably also have a tendency to collapse your lower back. Try to draw your hips up and back, almost like your are sucking in your stomach, and put your weight forward onto your toes.

If you have a tendency to pitch your head backwards when singing high notes, that can pinch the vagus nerve as well. There is nothing wrong with moving around while singing, just try to keep your neck supported while doing so, and not let it "tip" backwards.

Also, if you are not used to breathing deeply, then you can actually hyperventilate in a fashion while singing - especially if you are breathing correctly to do it. If that is a problem, then start doing breathing exercises randomly throughout the day to get your body used to it. If that is the problem it should go away on its own fairly quickly.

TL;DR - don't lock your knees, keep your lower back and neck supported and neutral, and do breathing exercises at other times than just choir practice. If it keeps happening despite that, go to the doc for a check up on your vagus nerve.

I'll assume your vodka comment was a joke. ;-)