Friday, November 22, 2013

Sherlock Holmes

A little over a month ago, I made a demo for my own Sherlock Holmes text adventure game.  The people I pitched the game to decided to reject it, for copyright reasons.

They suggested turning the project into a Sherlock Holmes parody, to avoid copyright laws.  So as a side project during October, I wrote a Sherlock Holmes parody story.  It's based on the first story of the Sherlock Holmes book.

I'm not entirely sure if I want to go ahead and turn the parody story into a full game demo.  For one thing, I'm less enthusiastic about writing a lengthy parody, compared to a mystery.  For another, I don't know what the target audience is.  I kind of get the feeling that the project will only appeal to people who have read the original book, due to its oddly specific nature.

Well, read the story and let me know what you think, I guess. Does it feel like it could be turned into an enjoyable game, or should I finish the story there?

2 comments:

L said...

I definitely enjoy it as a story. I was hooked from the foreword. And I think it does have a potential for a text-based game. You're right that the target audience would most likely be fans of the books, but you may also get some who love the various Sherlock shows on television, whether or not they have the read the books.

William D said...

I think it was a very interesting story, and I do think it would make an interesting Demo Game! I'm a huge fan of the books, so it made sense to me :P But I really did enjoy it =3