Tuesday, October 8, 2013

God And Reason, Responses

Here are my repsonses to various comments on yesterday's blog.

1. My plan is to prove the existence of God, before moving onto the question of "What is God like?".  That makes sense, right?  I don't want to put the cart before the horse.

2. This is a philosophical project, which means I am limiting myself to arguments based on reason and experience.  I'll try to avoid making theological arguments, even if it might be tempting to "cheat" and use something like a quotation from the Pope as a "shortcut".

With that said, here are things which will probably not be discussed, as they don't directly relate to the proofs for the existence of God.
  • Evolution
  • The Bible
  • Specific religious denominations
I'm sure that will disappoint some people who want to see a discussion topic like "Why Puritanism is Incorrect" or "Is Jesus God? An Inquiry into Consubstantiality and Other Long Words".

3. In response to Vast Universe, individual spirituality or (religious) experience of God is on the list of topics to discuss. Since it only applies to an individual, though, people generally dismiss it as an invalid proof for the existence of God.

4. Recently, I read a nice article on the beliefs of infants.  The author concluded that, as far as babies are concerned, you can't safely make conclusions that go beyond "babies find silly faces to be amusing" and "babies believe loud, unexpected noises are scary".

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, for the moment, you just want to prove a god, but one without characteristics? It sounds like you are trying to prove the Deist God, where the god just created everything, and then stepped back. Other than being the initial catalyst, it has no other characteristics and there's no dogma on what it's like. I’m kind of confused on how you are going to define what a god is without getting into religion.

Vast Universe said...

Agreed with above Anon.

I highly suggest you read Richard Dawkins' The Delusion God. It discusses a lot of what you seem interested in discussing here.

Anonymous said...

Key phrase being "for the moment", 8:54.

Brianna. J said...

There's only one true God, the lord Jesus Christ!

Anonymous said...

Comments like those of Brianna. J above are the kind that put me off considerably regarding the topic of religion on this blog.

If you can't contribute anything other than "There's only one true God, the lord Jesus Christ!" to the discussion here, please keep your praise limited to your church gatherings.

Brianna. J said...

Lets not get upset, because you don't agree, it says post a comment and that's mine, you can't tell me what to do.

Anonymous said...

In that case,


HAIL SATAN!

Brianna. J said...

Praise the LORD JESUS CHRIST the KING of Kings. The ruler of the universe, the creator of man, the messiah. The Lord of Lords, my savior that shed his Precious blood on Calvary's cross for my sins and the sins of the world. He is great and powerful and he's coming back and then the world will see, who is master!!! Satan's no match for God. So worship him and see where it gets you! I can assure you that your outcome one be pretty.

Brianna. J said...

*won't be pretty*

Anonymous said...

And here we have proof that both Christians and non-Christians can be spiteful and annoying.

Peter said...

At least non Christians are not trying to condemn your every action as punishable by God. Bible thumping and preaching at non believers of Christianity is seriously annoying. [Especially within seemingly mature discussions about stuff like this as they contribute nothing better than "Praise the lord"].

Jessica said...

And I suppose anons nice comment of Hail Satan really went along with the topic as well and was non provoking hmm?

James said...

Yeah, if you didn't want to hear Brianna's contribution of praise the lord, you shouldn't have gave give yours of "Hail Stan"!

James said...

*You shouldn't have given yours of "hail satan"!*

Anonymous said...

Oh praise the lord Jesus, don't even try preachin' at me. The door will slam right in yo face.

Brianna. J said...

I'm not preaching at you it's your decision to be a Christian or not.

That's not my call I can't tell you what to do either and I'm truly sorry for my actions.

I'm no one's judge and I really am sorry, I shouldn't have acted that way, I was wrong.

Anonymous said...

Was it your decision to become Christian, Brianna? Or did you grow up around it?

Just wondering (and no, I'm not being passive aggressive, I'm just curious. No need to have various readers freak out).

William D said...

@Peter: Catholics don't throw Bibles at people :D xD
Yay meee xDDD
But I have problems xD Lots xDD