Monday, September 2, 2013

Tangled

For Labor Day weekend, I read a longish Tangled fanfic.  It deals with what happened after the end of the movie.  I like the story, but it's raised some serious questions for me.

Like...why does Rapunzel lose her magical hair powers at the end of the movie?  SHE STILL HAS HAIR. Eyebrows, eyelashes...And leg hair? Does Rapunzel have leg hair, or does she shave her legs?  It seems out of character for her to willingly cut her hair.

"To say nothing of my armpits!"--Bess Marvin, Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull

Also, if you think about it, Mother Gothel did a really bad job of hiding the kidnapped princess.  All she did was move Rapunzel one day's walk away from the palace.  She didn't bother to change Rapunzel's name or her birthday.  I would have moved as far away as possible and changed the kid's name.

Rapunzel completely glosses over the fact that Flynn is a serial criminal, who gets sentenced to execution for stealing from her family. Those are some pretty heavy charges.  I really hope this is a case of true love conquering all, and not a naive teenager falling for, literally, the first man she ever met.

9 comments:

C said...

Her eyebrows and lashes are brown, though, so I guess the magic never seeped into them in the first place.

C said...

And though you're right about not changing her birthday, I don't think it's specifically stated whether Rapunzel's name was given to her by her parents or by Gothel.

Anonymous said...

That's just Disney for ya. They never explain anything like this.

Anonymous said...

I'm so tired of Disney changing the original stories. I used to love these when I was younger but half of what Disney readapts nowadays is crap. Stop sexualizing "princesses" and making stuff up about them. It does nothing but contribute to the sexualization of the female body at a young age.

William D said...

I wouldn't be to worried, she's darn good with a frying pan XD

Breanna;) said...

I don't know, but the prince in that movie was HOT!!!

Miriam said...

Ugh, I thought that link would take me to a finished fanfic, not one that doesn't have an ending yet! I stayed up until 1 AM to read all of what the author has so far (even though my first college class starts in 7 hours), but it wasn't even the whole story.. D:
I simultaneously thank you for introducing me to such an interesting story and shake my fist at you for leading me to a cliffhanger. :P

Stephanie Braddock said...

It's a good movie, and I know the original version wouldn't work as a kids movie (I don't remember exactly, but I think Rapunzel and the Prince both fall from the tower, and I know at least one of them goes blind, and they're left suffering in a forest somewhere) but I do wish sometimes that Disney payed more attention to the way the classics actually progressed and developed.

Miss. Cellaneous said...

In times like Rapunzel's, children weren't given their names the day they were born. They waited for a certain amount of time, and after getting a basic idea of what type of person they were, they named and baptized the child.

Gothel probably didn't worry about going too far, or changing Rapunzel's birthday, because the tower was so well hidden. Plus, if no one knew that there was a girl in a tower in the woods, how would they know that she had the same birthday as their princess? And if Rapunzel didn't know about the outside world, how would she know what her birthday meant based on the lanterns?

Plus, Rapunzel acknowledged that Flynn was a thief, but learned his back story, and began to see past his criminal side, and she began to see him learning that he loved Rapunzel, and couldn't be with her if he was still a thief.