Saturday, September 14, 2013

Nancy Drew Files: Secrets Can Kill

The response to my review of Nancy Drew Files: Secrets Can Kill seemed to be rather positive, so I went ahead and finished the project.  The videos will go up on my channel today. I'll be interested in seeing how the general public reacts.

I had to do a little bit of research on the The Nancy Drew Files series. It was the first Nancy Drew spinoff series, and it started in 1986, two years after Simon and Schuster purchased the syndicate that wrote every Nancy Drew book up to that point.  A second spinoff series, Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery, followed afterwards.

The spinoff series tried to appeal to older readers, by including more romance and adventure. Secrets Can Kill tries to appeal to teengaers by mentioning rock music a few times (specifically, the music video for Madonna's Material Girl) and Coca Cola.  Apparently, Coke had fantastic sales with teenagers in 1986.  People say this is due to the commercials starring a man pretending to be computer-generated, but...well, watch the commercials yourself and decide if you find the product appealing.

The Nancy Drew Files books sold for $2.75 each, during the 1980's.  The eBook versions are going to be released in the iTunes store next year, at a price of $5.99 each.  I don't know why the price has more than doubled, considering the fact there are no printing costs for these versions of the books.

3 comments:

GameOverTown said...

It costs more because it's REMASTERED.

Breanna;) said...

That's awesome! I can't wait to see the videos. Also, yeah those commercials are.......uh..yeah!

Sammy said...

I'm sure I would have thought differently if I were a teenager in 1986, but watching that commercial now...I think it would make me want to stay as far away from Coke as I possibly could...0_o