Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Five Games I Might Write

Continuing from yesterday, I want to work on writing a game. Here are five possible projects, currently on my docket.

1. The Misadventures of Herlock Sholmes.  This should be a fun parody story. Mainly, I just want to write the scene where Sholmes tries to rip off the King's beard, because he mistakenly thinks the King is an imposter. Maybe I'll just write out that part and pretend it's a full demo.

2. Boy Meets Worlds. This is a sci-fi humor story, starring Corey Matthews and his wisecracking buddy who want to work on the Starship Exitprise. Before they can join the crew, they need to go through Whirled-World Training.  They are sent to three different planets, and on each planet, they are challenged to perform a specific task. If they can finish all three tasks, they win!

I have written nothing for this story besides the premise, a pun which explains how Corey Matthews got his name, and a pun about space.

2. Pride and Prejudice and Hot Babes (title pending). For the past month or so, I've been writing Pride and Prejudice and Ponies, a crossover between My Little Pony and Pride and Prejudice.  The project was basically a fun excuse to annoy my friend Diana Gray (no relation), who is a major P&P fan.

Diana has now turned the tables on me, and she wants to force me into writing a Pride and Prejudice dating sim.  Right now, we're outlining the game, to see if it's feasible.  If I do this project, I want it to avoid the mistakes of the other P&P dating sim.  I also want to avoid the mistakes of the original novel; in my opinion, Jane Austen suffers from "skip over all the interesting scenes" syndrome.

3. Historical Book.  Two people have suggested I write a game based in the 1800's.  I guess that means people like this time period?  I'll keep that in mind, but unless I can think of game-worthy adventures starring Abraham Lincoln, it'll probably never happen.

4. Wizard of Oz / The Odyssey.  I would love adapting either of these books. As a matter of fact, I have the 1980's text adventure games, based on them.  The problem is that those games are basically unplayable without a walkthrough...like most 1980's text-based adventure games.  I'd have an uphill climb in figuring out how to adapt the books in a way which doesn't make them completely horrible. Also, I'd want to avoid "you can only beat the game if you remember all the minute details from the book" syndrome, which The Lord of the Rings 1908's text-based adventure games suffered from.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like the Herlock Sholmes game or the Pride and Prejudice and Babes game (but only if it is decent.) When I finally got the drift about the joke on Sherlock's name, I laughed. Ha.:) Good Luck, Michael!!:) God Bless.:)

Katie Nelson said...

Cool Michael, they all sound great, especially the Herlock Sholmes and Historical Book. Oh no, but I forgot one...P&P&Ponies!!! Hahahahahahaha. Well, don't worry Michael no matter what game you choose every one of us will make sure we get it!:D!

Anonymous said...

Also, remember the demographic that will be playing this game. THIS is the most important part because you would be capable of writing most of these great ideas but it falls into what type of people you're/the company is targeting.

Is it for an older audience that is familiar with classics and will enjoy and understand puns and particular novel based humor? Do they remember Boy Meets World, or who know who Cory was? How likely is it that they will have enjoyed Pride and Prejudice AND know what My Little Pony is?

From these ideas I can see that you're writing for an older generation (20s+). Preferring the more educated and people (seeing as how you're considering classic novels and historical figure crossovers). But also assuming that they are current with what's cool and interesting now, (i.e. My Little Pony). Also extending your own sense of humor (zany, often sarcastic, unique) through considering a parody or satirical commentary of particular scenes.

Just consider the audience. Then consider how the story you write will be translated into a game; particularly what TYPE of game and how accessible it will be for the core demographic to not only enjoy but be able to solve and get through. It might help visualizing the end product of story and game in relation to what games already exist on the market and may be comparable. How will it be different and how will it not? Say you're browsing through a gaming review website, what category will this game be in?

I think the success of any of these ideas depends on your audience. Combining too many different elements may alienate some players (jokes fly over their heads, or "what do ponies have to do with anything," and sadly even "yawn history is boring"). Start with something basic and work from there, revising it after you have an idea of what else needs to be added in for flavor. I know it's fun to write particular scenes first, but they can end up being useless unless you have a basic premise in the works. I guess don't try making something fit if it can't, or your plot may be all over the place.

Anyway, I'm not sure how useful anything I've written here is for you, but I tried. So far, I'm still a fan of the Herlock Sholmes*. Since I believe you mentioned having written something for good ole' regular Sherlock Holmes already, this can save you time. Read through it and see what can be added as parody. Pretend you're making a video walkthrough for it, what comments and jokes would you make?

*Also, Sherlock Holmes is pretty big right now because of the tv shows Sherlock and Elementary. It may give you some inspiration to watch a couple of episodes (watch them online try: couchtuner.eu].

*But for time's sake, be sure that your particular parody does not in no way get pulled into that rights lawsuit or whatever.

If you need further advice or help or anything I'd love to help. I usually check your blog often so I'll contribute what I can if you feel like posting about this again. Or I guess feel free to email me... slbfeb@gmail

Good luck!

Levi said...

Historical book? ...pretty please?

There are a few other colorful premises besides good ol' Abe: A boom town set in the Gold Rush era, the Oregon Trail[ ;) ], a New Bedford Whaling Ship, or just a family living in the 1800s.

The Herlock Sholmes game would be really fun as well. :)

GameOverTown said...

Yicheal Mou Dhould So Herlock Sholmes

CokerCola said...

Uh Micheal, i hate to break this but Herlock Sholmes is a character from a short story from the Arsene Lupin: Gentleman Thief series. Maybe, possibly you could do that, I would love it if you could do the Herlock Sholmes, just fair warning, that name was used in a book series.