Saturday, September 28, 2013

40 Days For Life

Yesterday marked the start of the 40 Days For Life vigil in Portland. I was gratified to be able to finally attend one of these, rather than hearing about it second-hand.

I think I've said it before on my blog, but I'll say it again: I don't like the active anti-abortion protests that are very loud and in-your-face. They usually feature people who hold up graphic pictures in public, for shock value, and they tend to yell at everyone who passes by. I am not sure why people hold protests like that, because those tactics don't work.

Those people aren't allowed at 40 Day For Life.  We invited them, under the condition that they would act civily and not provoke anyone, but they turned us down.  I guess they'd rather not oppose abortion, if it involves being nice.

I'm signing up for two shifts.  It basically involves sitting and praying for an hour. You don't engage anyone in conversation, unless they talk to you first.  In my experience, no one ever tries to talk to you, except for the people who drive by and shout obscenities.  But as I said earlier, the tactic of "yell at everyone who disagrees with you" is not an effective way to negotiate with other people.  (Someone really needs to tell this to the US Congress.)

So that's 40 Days For Life: a pro-life prayer vigil, as opposed to an anti-abortion protest.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Michael, are there any statistics on how effective anti-abortion protests are - whether 'in your face' or prayer vigils?

I'm curious about how many women who are set in their minds to abort, change their minds because of a protest. I would think that a woman that has made the difficult decision to abort would not be swayed by protests and vigils.

Do you have any information?

Michael Gray said...

I have no statistics on that whatsoever. Pope Francis' recent interview, which made headlines everywhere, said much the same things on how to deal with abortion.

Anonymous said...

"40 Days for Life is a focused pro-life campaign with a vision to access God’s power through prayer, fasting, and peaceful vigil to end abortion."

I don't see how this helps at all.

Anonymous said...

That's great, Michael!!:):):) I really want to go to one of those Walk for Life things or prayer vigils, too.:) As a human being with a voice, I have got to speak up for the vulnerable with love.:) God Bless you.:)