Thursday, August 8, 2013

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

I saw Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters yesterday.  I really enjoyed the movie.  The first movie is a favorite in the Gray family; we have watched it a ton of times.

I've heard some complaints from people who like the book series, but I have to say that I like the movie adaptations.  In fact, I like it better than the Harry Potter movie adaptations.  The Harry Potter adaptations followed the books rather closely, which only made things all the more painful for the book fans when the movies deviated from the books, in favor of weird things.  (See: Harry Potter 3)

The Percy Jackson movies are much more loosely based on the book series. That's both good and bad.  On the bad side, they left a lot out of the first movie, such as Mr. D, Clarisse, Thalia, the prophecy and Kronos.  They had a major hurdle, in fitting all of that backstory into this movie, so things would make sense.  The good news is that I think they did a magnificent job with this task.

One way they handled this was by giving Luke a villain upgrade.  In the book, he shows up once, on the yacht.  In the movie, he shows up three times: as the villain who poisons the tree, on the yacht, and at the end, he temporarily steals the fleece from our heroes (more on that later).  Is that following the book?  No.  But it made things more cohesive, it fit in well with two of the subplots (Thalia's tree and Hermes), and it made the ending showdown all the more exciting because the movie was building up to it.  Plus, Luke's actor does a great job; I find him more interesting in the movies than in the books.

Another way they handled the adaptation was changing Percy's motivation.  In the book, Percy wants to save Grover, and that's mainly it.  In the movie, Percy's main motivation is the fact that he feels inadequate.  He's depressed, because he failed a lot of quests in between the two movies, and he doesn't think he has what it takes to still be a hero.  It's different, and it fundamentally changes his relationships with Clarisse.

In the book, Clarisse is portayed as a second fiddle to Percy, and she wants to prove that she has what it takes to finish a quest.  The situation is almost reversed in the movie.  Here, Clarisse is the main hero of the camp, while Percy is more of the aging underdog whose glory days are probably behind him.  That also changes the effect of the ending where Clarisse cooperates with Percy.  It's more of a victory for them when they cooperate, whereas in the book, it's more like Percy having pity on Clarisse's failure.

The most obvious change--besides for the fact that our heroes are eaten by Chabydis and have to fight out of her stomach--is the part with Polyphemus.  It takes place in a run-down amusement park, instead of the island from The Odyssey.  He's less threatening in the movie than in the book, because they shrunk him down from 20 feet to 8 feet.  Also, the heroes don't fight him directly; the confrontation with Polyphemus is more like a chase sequence.

Our heroes steal the fleece and escape the cave.  They trap Polyphemus inside, by rolling the giant boulder over the entrance.  Um...yeah.  Apparently, two teenagers can move the boulder, but Polyphemus can't.  You don't have any time to think about why this soluion could not possibly work, because our heroes almost immediately run into Luke and the bad guys.

The bad guys shoot Tyson and steal the fleece.  They tie up our heroes with large ropes that have plenty of slack, so they can easily move around.  To be honest, I don't think our heroes would have trouble escaping, even if Percy didn't have a magical sword.  Meanwhile, Luke uses the fleece to bring Kronos back to life.

Yep, Kronos comes back to life and wreaks havoc for a while.  Percy and the others fight him, while his body is reforming.  Conveniently, Percy's magic sword happens to be Kronos' weakness.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  The movie did have foreshadowing leading up to this plot twist, but it still came as a surprise to me. I'll probably rewatch the movie before deciding if it's a good way to defeat the large villain, or a cheap, last-minute trick.

Overall, I liked the movie just as much as the first one.  Which makes sense, because it's pretty much the same thing as the first one.  The two movies are cut from the same cloth; this one is not significantly better or worse than the first.

Other thoughts:
  • Apparently, the "h" in "Thalia" is silent.  So...I've been pronouncing it incorrectly for years.
  • Mr. D was hilarious. Good job.
  • Grover is kidnapped halfway through the movie, instead of at the beginning.  This works for me, because Movie Grover is a lot better than Book Grover.
  • On the other hand, I think Book Tyson is better than Movie Tyson.  I didn't particularly care for him, and I imagine his role would have been larger if they didn't need to spend so much time catching up on other things.
  • The only time I disliked Percy's acting was during the scene where Annabeth talks about Thalia's death.  He reacted way too casually, for such an emotional scene.
  • Absent from the movie are the hydra (which was in the first movie), the sirens, the Lastrygonians, and Circe.  Rainbow the hippocampus was there, and I expect to see hilarious My Little Pony seapony jokes now.
  • Clarisse's first mate, who gets a few lines, is named Riordan. I see what they did there.
  • The movie has the same ending as the book, mainly because it is the perfect cliffhanger which cannot be improved upon.

46 comments:

Suzanne Klare said...

Normally I don't like it when the book is totally different from the book, but I can't really judge the movie now. Because of the blog, I now know that I shouldn't complain if something's different from the book. The movie isn't out here in Holland yet, so I'll just have to wait for it. At least, I think it isn't out yet, I'm on holiday now... ok, I'm drifting off...
Michael, did you know they announced PL vs PW (I mean the English version) to come out in 2014? I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Christ Suzanne, try having your own opinion sometime. Really, it's ok if you think differently from Michael.

Suzanne Klare said...

No seriously, I haven't seen the movie yet, so how can I judge it? Come on. Oh, and Anonymous, can you please leave a comment that isn't involving any of my comments? It would make you a lot less of a troll.

Kuhna said...

I've been meaning to read the books for a long time - don't know why I haven't yet, but I hope to remedy that.

William D said...

I LOVE the Percy Jackson series, and I'm kind of upset they did change the movie. It was still a great movie, but it just lacked something for me. I haven't seen Sea of Monsters yet, and I probably won't mind it differs a lot because it wasn't my favorite book. All I can say is that if they make the Titan's Curse, they better not change it to drastically, because that was my favorite >:P Also I just can't wait for The House of Hades >:D

Anonymous said...

I don't think you understand what trolling means. I was stating a genuine opinion, not trying to say something just to get a reaction from you. You can complain if movies are different from books. It doesn't make you a bad person or wrong if you disagree with the movie producers' decisions. It just gets tedious reading what is essentially, "Oh Michael, everything you say is so true and you know everything and you are the greatest thing to ever walk this Earth" by the same few people every day. Have your own thoughts and opinions once in a while!

Megam said...

I'm not sure how I feel about the movie yet. I think I need to see it again. That's how I was with the first one, too. It was so different from the book, I had to watch it a few times before I decided I liked it. But a part of me is still disappointed that they didn't follow the book more.

Megan said...

Haha whoops! I typed my name as Megam instead of Megan! Sorry :D

Cupcake said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't judge, but I will soon. I didn't like the first movie too much I felt that it was way too off. But from what I've seen from the second one (e.g interviews by the actors on YouTube) I think I'll like this one better.

I'm interested in hearing what your favourite book was Micheal. Mine was Battle of the Labyrinth. Did you read the second series? (My favourite book in HOO is the Mark of Athena)

William D said...

Mine is The Son of Neptune! (In HOO)

Suzanne Klare said...

Uhm Anon, I know what trolling is, trust me. I just assumed you were. I realize I'm wrong and I'm sorry for that, but seriously, I haven't seen the movie. Once I've seen it, I'll say if I agree with Michael or not. End of discussion.

NinjalyJen said...

I was pronouncing Thalia horribly for years as well. XD

Anonymous said...

you guys are so mean

William D said...

Wow anon real mature! I was also mispronouncing Thalia. I'm. Not even sure if I've got it right now! What was your favorite book! Michael?

Anonymous said...

Grover as from sesame street that would be awesome tho....

Aileen Villacorta said...

WATCH IT HERE: --> CLICK HERE

Anonymous said...

Wow, William D. Wasn't it just a couple days ago you told someone on here to cut their tongue off and eat it?

William D said...

You didn't read the full comment ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, "do that - no don't do that!!" What are you, 12?

William D said...

Ahh, still strugling with those last few brain-cells I see :) Good luck with that!

William D said...

Also right back at you, anon, ever heard of sarcasm? (Also, I'm not going to continue waisting your last few precious brain cells for the sake of other bloggers and Michael. Be brave :)

C said...

He's 14, according to a previous comment thread.
William, we all know you're being sarcastic. You're just really bad at it. And you pretty much started the whole thing, so don't act as if you're so noble for ending it.

William D said...

Umm, C, explain to me how I started it? Oh and in real life I'm much better at being sarcastic. Give me a break, I was sick. Also I know you're basically just trying to bait me out.

C said...

"Wow anon real mature!" for no reason.

I'm not trying to bait you; I'm asking you to stop baiting people, because doing it in every thread is getting tiresome. And if you make a comeback saying "but I need to feed the poor trolls!" you're just proving my point and making yourself look like an idiot, which I know you're not. Be the bigger person here, will you?

William D said...

Seriously, C, I said "real mature" because um hello he was crying about our "meanness" while we were purely discussing the Percy Jackson series. After HE was rude to Suzanne. So technically he did start it. Also I can't help it if I have a happy go lucky/ odd personality or the fact that I'm caloric and I like arguing. So, C, the only immature and rude one here is you, you have no regard for the private arguments I like to hold and you also are to stupid to realize he started it, if you in fact aren't a troll yourself. I would appreciate it if you stopped being a hypocrite, and let me finish the argument. (You're a hypocrite because you told me not to act so noble by ending the conversation and now your saying "I should be the bigger man" please have regard for Michael and other people ok?)

Anonymous said...

William I really don't think you realize that you are annoying more than just one person. You seem to assume that most commentators on this blog are "trolls" and that if they post on anonymous and later someone else does too, it must be the same person. That is not the case a lot of the time. There's definitely more than one person "trolling" you because you make it so darn easy. Perhaps it is time for you to find friends your own age in the real world. They might appreciate you and your humor more.

William D said...

I have plenty of friends, sadly they live a bit farther than a bike ride away XD I never mentioned that I thought all Anton's are the same troll I never said I think everyone on michales blog is a troll. Obviously I'm "lucky" enough to have un earthed another jerk. If you can't see that C was acting stupidly (much like you right now) Obviously you haven't read ANY of my comments, or you've only read what you wanted to, or you are even dumber than I first believed. And again I like arguing, hello!?

William D said...

Also I really don't understand how you got from me rebuking him to me calling him the mastermind behind every troll and identity on this bog.... So yah. Good luck friend.

Brittany said...

Seriously, William D, I'm not following your crybaby logic. I was the anon that "insulted" Suzanne from the start. She said, generally speaking, "Because of the blog, I now know I shouldn't complain if something is different from the book," and I told her that she can complain if she wants. Just because Michael doesn't do that doesn't mean that she can't do it. You act like such kids on here sometimes. And you, William D, are so pompous. You think you're better than everyone else. You think if someone even slightly disagrees, they're a troll. Then you try to attack them and it makes you look pathetic. Then you try to play it off like, "But the trolls are my friends!" Also, I was the anon that jokingly told Michael he was the worst kind of person for not paying for trash service. My comment wasn't even geared towards any of the other comments, and you come in white-knighting, telling me I should cut my tongue off and eat it (but wait, don't do that, friend!). You need together your act together a bit. I know you're only 14 so you're going through an annoying phase already (like nearly everyone else does) so there really isn't much you can do. I predict you'll grow out of it though. But for the time being, you could stop pretending you're a master of the universe.

William D said...

Thank you for saying something sensible. Also I think you misunderstand her comment. I know her pretty well, and I'm pretty sure that she meant she can have hope for this movie because of Michael's reviews... So yeah again, Wow. Also I'm not a white knight, I am not friends with the trolls, and if you'll follow my posts then you will see how logic works. Also you obviously haven't read the posts on The Silent Spy part. Or ALL the other posts where You and other people were yelling at eachother about moral and religious stuff. I know none of you are trolls. The only trolls are the people who just don't listen and are ignorant to many facts. Oops I just described you. Also, um, I know the ''Your the worst kind of person" remark wasn't made towards anyone. I now know I was right in saying you lacked manners. Unlike Virgil who would calmly and Politely state things, you rant about people's stupidity. Also, if you want people to realize your twisted sense of humor is a sense of humor you should put ''lol'' or ''jk'' So yah. Also I hold no malice towards you (which is surprising because I usually hold grudges... I don't know why... I am a friendly person IF you'll actually listen and give me a chance and Stop being such a White Knight yourself. I'm merely trying to defend myself against the onslaught of Black Knights, because I was trying to help MY friend. So how about we just forget about all this malice You hold towards me. I would love it if you could try and be understanding. No I'm not pompous, you obviously don't follow my line of logic because I doubt you've read many of comments. I would again truly appreciate it if you could just learn the meaning of the words forgiving and kind.

William D said...

Hmmm, I sounded rude. Sorry I was upset at the fact that you act like I'm the ants that live under your floor.

Brittany said...

William D, you are being a total hypocrite. And stop playing the victim, you're the one who always gets up in everyone else's conversations.

I read this blog almost daily and I DO see your comments, which are almost always either fawning over Michael or white knighting (which, in fact, you are, because you feel the need to "stick up" for everyone in the threads). It's not noble, it's annoying.

Brittany said...

Also, I'm confused as to why it's so important for me to read the comments on the SPY post. There isn't anything thought-provoking from your part; you mostly agree with everyone or saying things like, "I'm worried now!" You are aware that you don't have to comment on everything everyone says, right?

William D said...

It's called discussion you're having one right now...

William D said...

How am I a hypocrite and how do I but into people conversations? Also I see you have nothing good in your soul. :(

Brittany said...

Uh, ok. Well, that discussion wasn't exactly the most trenchant, so I just didn't know why you wanted to point that one out specifically. One example in which you're acting like a hypocrite can be seen in your 1:30 comment, in which you spent the entirety insulting me but then said, "I would again truly appreciate it if you could just learn the meaning of the words forgiving and kind." And you butted into this conversation alone at 8:16.
I was tempted to ask you to back up some of your claims (me yelling at everyone, ranting about stupidity, ignoring facts, etc.), but I didn't want to trouble you.
And hey, that's keen of you to analyze my entire personality with just a few blog comments. You hit the nail on the head there, bub. I guess you know everything!

William D said...

<3 she called me bub! Alleluia. Also I did not spend te entire time insulting you.
You really have to ask where you were ranting and raving about morals and religion... wow...
8:16 .... what conversation?

William D said...

Also I meant to say you have no forgiveness, not no good in your soul Sorry again

Brittany said...

Lol, I'm not even going to backtrack that far to look that up. I admire your diligence though. But I suggest getting a hobby. Wasn't that post from months ago? With like 500 comments? Whew.. If that is the one you were referring to, then yes, that was the one where a lot of people were having heated arguments about gay rights and abortion and religion. So, I'm gonna have to render that point moot, as everyone, aside from he trolls, was ranting and raving about religion. I guess unless you want to say everyone who was involved with the discussion is ignorant/mean/rude/whatever...

Why should I be so quick to "forgive" someone who continually insults me?

William D said...

I stopped a while a go.... Also um Brittany. If you can't forgive, then well, yah....

Brittany said...

Lol, sorry Internet stranger, but I don't even know what there is to forgive, really. I was kind of hoping you'd point it out. Like, I should forgive you for insulting me? If I held a grudge every time I've ever been insulted by Internet strangers, I, well, would live a sad life. It was nice not being told I should kill myself, though. I really don't care to keep this going though. In short, keep my actual life separate from my Internet life. In other words, I ain't even mad.

William D said...

Oh good to know :D The way you kept going on and on and ON about my stupidity I was afraid you would blow a few neck veins. So let's just forgive and forget. I was apologizing for annoying you and for causing overall hazardness. But tell me truthfully that you've never tried to help you friends. Exactly! You want to help your friends!

Brittany said...

I don't recall going on and on about your stupidity. Other things, yes, but not stupidity. You may have a career in politics, my friend - You could be pretty good at mudslinging.

William D said...

Very funny -_- Im dying of laughter -_- But I do want to become a Cannon Lawyer.

Brittany said...

That's neat. I had to look that up - I didn't know such a thing existed. Just keep up your combative nature and diligence and you'll become a regular ol' Atticus Finch :P

William D said...

I had to look up who Atticus Finch was XD