Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Blackmoor Manor

Okay, I'm basically done with planning my speedrun for Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor.  I just need to do a test run, to double-check there are no problems.  Then, I need to do the actual run.

  • You meet Ethel three times in this game.  Once, when you leave Jane's room for the first time.  Second, when you leave the East Hall after solving the Loulou Magic Word puzzle.  Third, after using the slide.  There are two sneaky strategies for avoiding Ethel.
  • #1: Never exit through the East Hall, after solving the Loulou Magic Word puzzle.  Instead, always exit the hidden passageways through the gargoyle exit.
  • #2: Exit the East Hall, by means of the slide, instead of through the doorway.
  • Ethel's hand (the one holding the candle) magically jumps around during the ritual cutscene.
  • When you first talk to Mrs. Drake, there are four conversation topics.  You need to talk about Linda's condition, in order to get through the conversation.  It's actually faster to talk about Jane's studies, then Linda's condition, compared to talking about Linda's condition right from the start.
I'm not sure how fast the speedrun will be.  It depends on the puzzles with random solutions, which could potentially take a long time.  I think Jane's game of Bul and the go fish game are the ones that can end up taking the longest to complete.

7 comments:

Breanna(; said...

Thank you for doing this, Michael! You look like you've put a lot into it and I appreciate it. You have waaay more patience than I have, I would have never been able to do this:)

William D said...

So I'm not crazy.... her hand is magic :O lol can't wait 'till you do your speed run!

Anonymous said...

Michael, I heard that the pope is supporting gay marriage. Is that true? I'm not Catholic, and my source isn't either, so I thought I would ask here.

And for the others who read this, I am not posting this to start an argument. Please do not reply this comment.

-Lee

Nadi said...

It's funny that you're taking the time to calculate the different odds on how fast you'll get through… Good go, good go…

Spinnerack said...

Michael, thank you so much for all of your hard work! I especially loved seeing all of your notes and insights. Those were great.

I am anxiously awaiting for your speedrun to go up!

Stargazer said...

Michael, you are Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Anon at 7:49 No, he never said that. He said that we should love them because they are children of God as well, essentially saying love the sinner, hate the sin, but he does not support it. The media has been twisting his words to mean something different, but the Church is not changing it's position on homosexual marriage.