Thursday, June 20, 2013

Three Things - Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

My recording of Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker is back on!  I fear half of the first ten videos will look weird, but I'm not sure what I can do about that.

In my opinion, the game takes a steep decline in quality, after the first hour or so.  Once Ganon appears and Link meets the King of Red Lions, things go directly from "good" to "bad".  And here are three reasons why.

1. The plot changes at this point.  Previously, Link was focused on saving his kidnapped sister.  Now, he's focused on collecting the three Goddess Pearls.

The problem?  His sister is still kidnapped.  But Link, and everyone else, completely forgets about her for several hours.  That's an unrealistically mean thing for Link to do.  His sister should still be his #1 priority, at this point.

2.  To make matters worse, Link has no real reason to collect the Goddess Pearls.  He's only doing it, because his magical talking boat told him to.

If I was Link, I would demand an explanation from the boat, before agreeing to collect the pearls.  The boat does have a good reason for wanting the pearls, but he never bothers to tell it to Link. As a result, Link (and by extension, the player) has little sense of motivation or purpose in this section of the game.

3. The game's villain is Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time.  He's back from the dead and eager for revenge.

The problem with this is that Ganondorf has been dead for hundreds of years.  He can't get revenge, because everyone he knew is long dead.  Heck, even the place where he lived is gone for good.  His revenge plot is over before it even began.

So...yeah.  Ganondorf is completely disconnected from everyone and everything in the world.  He is so disconnected from everything that only two people in the world even know he exists.    This really takes away from his effectiveness as a villain, you know?

6 comments:

Breanna(; said...

I can't wait to watch this(:

Suzanne Klare said...

So THAT's why you don't like windwaker.

William D said...

Let me see if I can clear some things up for you, ok? '
Firstly, Ganondorf doesn't really want revenge, he wants to bring his homeland back. In that way, he would be getting revenge on the gods for taking it away.
Secondly, Link is collecting the pearls, because he realizes that he needs them in order to defeat Ganandorf. He had already tried to rescue his sister, but he failed. He realized he needed the Master Sword. (Evil's Bane)
Thirdly, I'm not trying to criticize you, but the story line can be explained. I hope I did clear it up a little for you to increase your appreciation of the game. Sorry if I offend you in anyway. If I did, please forgive me!

William D said...

Hmmm, now that I think about the whole ganondorf argument I set forth earlier,it doesn't make much sense. Ok, let me try again.
Ganondorf wants to bring hyrule back up, in flood everything, and give himself ultimate power. He tries to lay his hands on the trifocals in order to do that.
Does that make more sense?

William D said...

Man, I really hate auto correct >:O ok here are the words it messed up: triforce and un.

Clive Astic said...

Wow...