Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Mystery of the Broken Heart, Chapter 3

Here's Chapter Three of The Mystery of the Broken Heart.  In this chapter, George calls Bess.

---

Ned decided not to visit Bess the next day, and it took approximately twenty minutes for Bess to become bored out of her mind. She tried drawing, she tried cooking, and she even tried messing around on the Internet, but nothing worked.

Halfway through the day, Bess got a phone call from her cousin, George Fayne. Happy for something to do, Bess answered the phone. "Hey, George! How's New York?"

"What's wrong with you, Bess?! What are you thinking?!"

Bess had to hold the phone away from her ear, afraid that her eardrums would break. "I take it you heard what happened."

"I thought you and Ned were planning Nancy's surprise party!" George said.

"We are!" Bess said. "But we couldn't tell Nancy that, so we just sort of...went with the worst cover story ever."

"Wait, seriously?" George asked. "I mean, seriously? Why would you pick secret boyfriend as a cover story?"

"What makes you think it was me?" Bess huffed. "It could have been Ned's idea!"

"....."

"Fine, it was me. But I couldn't think of anything else at the time, and Nancy was jumping to conclusions!"

"I just got off the phone with Nancy," George said. "She's really mad, but she's also kind of...weird."

"Weird? What do you mean?"

"I mean, Nancy didn't sound like her normal self. It was like her brain was underwater or something. At first, I thought it was because of you and Ned, but I get the feeling there's more to it than that."

Bess shivered. "You...you don't think the ghost has somehow gotten to Nancy, do you?"

"No. There's no such thing as ghosts."

"Sure, you're not afraid of ghosts, but not me! I need Nancy as my ghost protection shield! And the shield doesn't work if the ghosts are making Nancy act all crazy! George, we have to do something!"

"I think the only thing you need to do at this point is tell Nancy the truth. The last thing she needs right now is a distraction."

"Yeah, I know..." Bess said. "But I don't know what to say to Nancy. Besides, Ned said he'd take care of everything."

"You'd better hope he does," George said. "Otherwise, instead of a birthday party, you should be planning a funeral."

3 comments:

Suzanne Klare said...

Upload soon, Michael! How many chapters will this story be?

Anonymous said...

This is getting better and better. Maybe Nancy really is under water!

William D said...

''...otherwise instead of a birthday, you should be planning a funeral...'' DUN DUN DUN
*announcer* '' What will happen to our dear heroine Nancy in the next chapter? Will she resolve her problems with ned and bess? Will she discover the dark secrets of Thornton Hall? Or will the dark secrets of Thornton Hall discover here?......'' I can't wait for the next chapter! It is getting sinister, but serious! Also something I didn't understand about this game, is this:
First: If Charlotte Thornton's ghost was a hallucination, how come A: Jesalyn could summon her to kill Nancy? B: One puzzle, if you don't solve it, how come Charlotte's ghost appears and kills you if she is a hallucination? C: When Nancy goes to the old ruins, she is in the fresh air, so how come Charlotte's ghost is out there too? D: You can get hauntings in the graveyard before you even go to the house!!! I think her ghost is real!!! I'm sad they made it so that it wasn't real :( Anyway, Michael, do you think that you could make the ghost real in your version of it? Please! As Suzanne Klare said 'Upload soon'!! :D