Monday, June 3, 2013

The Mystery of the Broken Heart, Chapter 2

Here's Chapter Two of The Mystery of the Broken Heart.

---

Ned put down the phone, then turned to look at Bess. "That could have gone better," he said.

Bess shrugged. "Well, what were we supposed to do?" she asked. "We couldn't tell Nancy that we're planning her surprise birthday party."

Ned closed his eyes and pinched his forehead. "Yes, but you didn't have to say we've been watching tons of romance movies together!"

"Sorry!" Bess said. "You know me. I tend to babble when I'm frightened! Or nervous! Or excited, or...well, okay, maybe I babble all the time."

"Now I have to figure out how to get Nancy to talk to me again," Ned said.

Bess wrapped her arm around Ned's shoulders and pouted. "Poor Neddy-Weddy. I'm sorry."

"Okay, not helping!" Ned said, standing up quickly.

Bess giggled. "Come on, Ned. Nancy can't seriously think that we're a couple, right? She knows us better than that."

"Yeah, well, she just hung up on us," Ned said. "And she sounded really mad. I'm gonna have to do some major damage control here."

"And that's why I prefer being single..." Bess said.

Nancy picked up the pieces of her phone and stomped into Thornton Hall. Even though it was past midnight in Georgia, she was feeling incredibly energized.

Throwing open the front door, Nancy saw the ghost of Charlotte Thornton, hovering above the stairs. Singing her spooky song about ladybugs, Charlotte slowly turned towards Nancy and floated closer.

"I don't have time for this," Nancy said. She ran up the stairs and tackled Charlotte's ghost. Nancy flew right through the apparition and hit her head on the top stairs.

"Ow," Nancy said. Knowing that the ghost wasn't really there made her feel a little better, but how could she explain its presence? Complicated holographic technology? Hallucinations? Exhaustion?

"Stupid ghost," Nancy said, stumbling up the stairs and into her sleeping bag. "Stupid Ned. Stupid Bess. Stupid everything."

Nancy tried to fall asleep, but she couldn't stop thinking about the fact that her two best friends had betrayed her. How long had the two been dating? Did they start when Nancy was out of town? Did Ned think of Bess, whenever he was kissing Nancy? Plagued with these thoughts, Nancy wasn't able to sleep for another two hours.

7 comments:

Suzanne Klare said...

Great! I already read it, but I can't wait till chapter 3!

Anonymous said...

aw this is so sad! :P

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! I knew Ned wouldn't abandon Nancy, but I wonder how he will get Nancy to understand. :/

Anonymous said...

It's such a good story! I died laughing when Nancy just ran through the ghost without caring.

Sammy said...

I love this! I can definitely tell you wrote this, especially with Nancy's accusation that Bess and Ned were dating. That sounds exactly like something you would assume about two characters when playing a game. Can't wait for part three. :)

William D said...

THAT WAS HILLARIOUS ''I don't have time for this!'' Loved it Michael!!! I started laughing so hard..... keep on making this story, ok?

Graeme Cree said...

Nancy can't have a birthday party without getting older, which she never does... at least not since they bumped her age from 16 to 18 about 60 years ago.