Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Sword in the Stone

I really like the Disney movie The Sword in the Stone.  A few years ago, I decided to read the book version.  The book was okay, but most of the jokes and humor were ridiculously obscure.  I wish I had a copy of the book with footnotes, which explained all the references I didn't understand.

I'm told that Walt Disney got the rights to make a movie out of The Sword in the Stone in the late 1930's, when that book was at the top of the bestselling charts.  The author went on to write more books in the series, while the Disney movie got put on hold for a long time (about 20 years after the original script for the film was finished).

My favorite part of the movie is the big battle between Merlin and Madam Mim.  It turns out that the Madam Mim plotline is not in the original book.  It only appears in the censored version of the book.  It's in the movie, because Mr. Disney never had access to the uncensored version of the book during the 30's and 40's.

I find it interesting that modern editions of the book leave out the plotline which a third of the movie is based on.

2 comments:

Paramore_Fan said...

I've never read the book or watched the movie - but that is weird that they miss out the plotline in the new versions! Silly people.

Anonymous said...

All right! Another fellow Sword in the Stone lover! That movie's the best. :)