Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Souls and Sacraments

Earlier, I talked about the priesthood.  The Catholic Church teaches that a man's soul is changed, when he becomes a priest.  Specifically, an unremoveable mark is placed upon his soul.  This is what allows a priest to distribute the sacraments, which is the primary function of a priest. 

A key point that I emphasize is the fact that a priest produces the sacraments in the person of Christ.  This is not symbolic or figurative.  The priest literally becomes Jesus Christ, at the moment a sacrament is produced.  When he says, "I baptize you" or "this is my body" or "I forgive you", that is not the priest speaking.  It is Jesus speaking (hence the switch to first person).  Only Jesus' power can produce a sacrament.  A priest cannot produce sacraments, out of his own power.

What is a consequence of the fact that priests work in the person of Christ? One is that priests have to be male, because Christ was male.  Both male and female can represent Jesus; only male can literally be Jesus.  That is the official teaching of the Catholic Church, in regards to producing sacraments.

Earlier, I stated that men's souls are different from women's souls.  The Church has not said anything on the subject, but we can use logic here.  Becoming a priest leaves a mark on the soul.  Only men can become priests.  Therefore, only men's souls can receive the unremoveable mark of priesthood.  That is one difference between men's souls and women's souls.

To be honest, that's probably the only difference between men's souls and women's souls.  But this is just me talking here, not the Church.  We know there are differences between men's bodies and women's bodies, and we know that the body can affect the soul (and vice-versa). Therefore, it is possible that a female body causes the soul to develop differently than a male body does.

5 comments:

Suzanne Klare said...

I don't agree. Just because a woman has a different body than a man, doesn't mean this sacrament can't be performed with women. I think the body isn't important, but the soul. If a woman has a kind and beautiful soul like Jesus has, there's no problem.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for these posts, Michael! People need to hear this. Women and Men are different and are meant to live different lives. They are equal in human dignity, but are different, and a lot of people don't realize that.

Sammy said...

I don't think I believe this. I am not Catholic, and I only know a small amount of information about the religion, but I guess I just don't understand why we need a "person" to be the physical connection to God. Jesus came to earth in the first place to teach us, but ultimately die for us. When he went back to Heaven, he sent the Holy Spirit to be our "personal Jesus" if that's what you'd call it. Because of Jesus' ultimate sacrifice, we no longer need a priest, or a physical "way to God." His sacrifice for us was big and powerful enough so that anyone can speak to God, and anyone can ask his forgiveness personally, without having to go to a priest. Because remember, the curtain to the temple was ripped in half, showing that the rules concerning the Old Testament law, and who were aloud in the temple were broken.

Now, about male and female souls being different...I don't think I could seriously take a woman priest, or pastor. My church used to have an occasional woman pastor speak, and it felt sort of strange. I believe the reason God chose men for the job, was exactly for that reason. Men have always been taken more seriously over woman. In biblical times, and today. God made man the provider, physically and spiritually. I don't think that God ONLY wants men to do the job. He can use women any way he sees fit. But I do think that when trying to get a biblical point across, more people will feel comfortable with a man in charge instead of a woman.

Like I said, I am not Catholic, so I don't know what talking to God via priest is like. But, If I were Catholic, I probably would understand the difference between talking to a man, over a woman.

Just my thoughts.
~Samantha :)

Justice said...

I have to agree with Samantha. It never was clear to me where Catholics get all these ideas about priests, since the New Testament doesn't give such instructions. 1 Peter 2:9 calls believers a "royal priesthood", but that is in reference to the closeness we have to God in the New Covenant, and there are no instructions about conferring/administering sacraments or many of the other things priests in the Church do.

Diana said...

"Earlier, I talked about the priesthood. The Catholic Church teaches that a man's soul is changed, when he becomes a priest. Specifically, an unremoveable mark is placed upon his soul. This is what allows a priest to distribute the sacraments, which is the primary function of a priest."

So, even when a priest is a pedophile and/or enjoys the company of other men, this mark, being unremovable, allows him to distribute the sacrament? How does this affect all those involved? Can a sinner absolve another sinner?

Why doesn't the act of becoming a priest and having the soul marked make a priest rise above his human sexual needs?

I am asking these questions with out malice or disrespect. I really would like to know.