Thursday, May 23, 2013

Sherlock Holmes Spec

Recently, I applied for a job as a writer for a visual novel.  I made it to the second round of applications, before getting rejected.

I still want to write a visual novel, though.  Here's a spec I wrote for a Sherlock Holmes visual novel.  I'd love to be able to turn this into a full game for the iPhone or something like that.

---

SCENE: 221 Baker Street.  Sherlock Holmes is resting.
Holmes: Ah...
Holmes: A quiet night of rest, after a long journey.
Holmes: This is exactly what the doctor ordered.
(A slamming noise is heard.)

Holmes: Hm.  It appears my friend Dr. Watson has a different prescription in mind.
(Watson bursts into the room.)

Watson: Holmes!  Why didn't you tell me you were back from Liverpool?
Holmes: Good to see you, too, Watson.  How have you been the past fortnight?
Watson: Awful!  Simply awful!
Watson: Things have been intolerably dull since you went on holiday!
Holmes: It wasn't a holiday.  I was there to solve a case.
Watson: Yes, and that's the third case in a row that you've solved without my help.
Watson: I'm starting to feel like you have no need of me at all.
Holmes: Don't be silly.  You know I always enjoy your company, Watson.
Holmes: However, I am afraid that there will be no solving of mysteries tonight.
Holmes: I'm still a bit tired from my trip back to London.
Watson: Nonsense!  It's been over a month since we last solved a case together.
Watson: Why don't we look through The London Times?  They usually report on plenty of unsolved crimes.
Holmes: Read the Times if you must.  I intend on resting.
(Watson reads from the newspaper.)

Watson: Hmmm...an increase in vandalism downtown...
Watson: A Miss Barret lost a valuable piece of jewelry...
Watson: Ah, here we go!  A young woman has mysteriously gone missing!
Watson: Sounds like a case worthy of your intellect, Holmes.
Holmes: Interesting...
Watson: What's this?  You know something about the kidnapping?
Holmes: No, Watson.  I find it interesting that you aren't more concerned about the second headline.
Watson: The lost piece of jewelry?  Interesting?
Watson: Pardon me for asking, but what's so important about a woman losing one of her trinkets?
Holmes: That particular woman happens to be your sister-in-law.
Watson: WHAAAT???
Watson: (reading the paper) Miss Olivia Barret, of...
Watson: Why, you're correct, Holmes!  That IS Mary's sister!
Holmes: ...Sometimes your powers of deduction amaze me, Watson.
Watson: Well, if Mary's sister is the victim, we HAVE to help her!
Watson: Mary will never let me hear the end of it, if we don't.
Holmes: Go on, then.  Tend to your relative.  I will remain here.
Watson: Oh, no you don't, Holmes.  You're coming with me.
Watson: This is one case we can't afford to fail.
SCENE: Barret Residence. Holmes and Watson are outside.

Holmes: I still don't see why I had to come all this way to find a missing piece of jewelry.
Holmes: She probably dropped it behind the bureau when she wasn't paying attention.
Watson: Hm...
Holmes: What is it, Watson?  Is something amiss?
Watson: No, it's just...
Watson: The last time I was here, I told Olivia about our adventures together in Dartmoor.
Holmes: Yes, the Baskerville Case.  What about it?
Watson: I may have been...less than honest when describing the case.
Holmes: Oh?
Watson: I changed a few details here and there.  Just to make things more exciting, you know.
Watson: It probably won't come up, but if it does...
Watson: Could you please humor her a bit?  If she asks about our previous cases, that is.
Holmes: Of course, Watson.  I understand completely.
Holmes: I'll try my best not to embarrass you in front of your relatives.
Watson: Oh, excellent!
Watson: But I'm sure it won't come up.  They've probably forgotten all about my detective stories by now.
SCENE: Barret Residence. Holmes and Watson are inside.

Watson: Olivia!  Jolly good to see you again!
Olivia: John Watson!  It's been an age since you last came by!
Olivia: And you must be his faithful companion, Mr. Shomes!
Holmes: That's Sherlock Holmes, actually.
Olivia: It's so good you're here, John.  We need your brilliant detective skills right about now!
Olivia: Why, if anyone can help find my necklace, it's you!  You're the smartest man in all of England!
Olivia: I still remember last Christmas, when you told us how you single-handedly saved Queen Victoria's life!
Holmes: ..."Changed a few details here and there", eh, Watson?
Watson: Heh heh...
Watson: Indeed, Olivia.  We have come here to help you.
Olivia: That is such a relief, Doctor!  With you on the case, my necklace is as good as found!
Olivia: If there's any way I can help you, please let me know!
[A list of conversation topics pops up.]

12 comments:

Suzanne Klare said...

WHAT?! They REJECTED YOU? You're the best writer I know! You write funny, mysterious, have a great wordschoice, I MEAN COME ON!!! YOU SHOULD BE A WRITER AND SELL MILLIONS OF BOOKS! Write a visual novel, PLEASE, Michael! The world needs you're humor, and sense of writing! Show the world how damn good of a writer you are!
(I'm super hyper now, but that doesn't change my opinion)

Suzanne Klare said...

Buy the way, LOVE the story. What brings me back to my previous comment:
WHAT?! They REJECTED YOU?
I'm sorry, but I just can't believe it. I would buy all of you're books!

Anonymous said...

How could they reject you?! That was amazing!!! :D

Anonymous said...

I second what Suzanne said. I WOULD TOTALLY BUY ALL YOUR BOOKS TOO!

Anonymous said...

Your writing is not bad, but I'm sorry to tell you that you are not the best writer I know.

I just believe God called you to be other things, like being a priest, as you are studying to become one.

Saying that though is a little hard for me, because I am not of the Roman Catholic denomination. I am a Christian a very strong one indeed. Just,the Catholic traditions is not what I believe in.

On other terms, we are very alike. I am a girl, so I cannot be a pastor. But I will spread God's word in whatever I end up doing. If I'm a cashier, that's what God meant me to be. If I become a world famous author (Which I want to be), that is what God wanted me to be and I will do my best.

This comment is becoming rather lengthy, so I will end here. God bless you Michael and everything you do!

Sincerely,

Lee

L said...

I really enjoyed that. You did a good job. I'm sure you'll get more of your writing accepted sometime soon--just keep at it! :)

Breanna(; said...

They're all crazy for rejecting you!!! I love reading your stories and the one you wrote today was great:D

Kelly said...

I would play this if it became an app! And as for the rejection, keep at it Michael, you are very talented!

Anonymous said...

I CAN'T BELIVED THEY REJECTED YOU!!!

Zjazz said...

Brilliant, Michael!

Ali said...

How could they reject you?! Clearly their heads are on backwards. That must be it.

D said...

That was a fantastic-sounding introduction! You should definitely stick with that, I'd most certainly play it!