Sunday, May 12, 2013

Priesthood

Yesterday, I discussed a major point I've been building up to: the fact that men and women can do different things, while still being equal.  The existence of an all-male group doesn't take anything away from women, in the same way the existence of an all-female group doesn't take anything away from men.

That's true in general, but what about the specific case of the priesthood?  Does an all-male priesthood take away from women?  No.

Some people argue that the all-male priesthood does take away from women, as it deprives them of spiritual graces, positions of power within church hierarchy, and the ability to run a church.  This is clearly false, as there are women who have all these things.  Also false is the idea that lies underneath this argument, which is "priests are better than non-priests".

On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have people who argue that "priests are exactly the same as non-priests".  This is also false.  The people who favor this argument see no reason why women can't become priests, as they feel there is nothing special about it.  If the priesthood is just a job, women should be allowed to be priests.  After all, many women can do a better job than men at community organizing, public speaking and other things that priests do.

I think I'll stop for comments at this point.  A problem we're seeing is that people have an incorrect notion of what the priesthood is.  What do you readers think?  What does it mean to be a priest?  How are priests different from non-priests?  And if you disagree with the statement that the all-male priesthood takes nothing away from women, what does it take away from women?

5 comments:

Miriam said...

I've never had a problem with the fact that women don't have the priesthood. We can still have the blessings and ordinances of the priesthood in our lives through our husbands, brothers, fathers, and other men we know.

If I ever want to hold the priesthood, I'll go hug a guy who has it. ;)

Diana Gray said...

Okay, so now that I'm a confirmed member of the Catholic Church, I'm going to comment.
I basically think that being a priest is following in the footsteps of Jesus and the early apostles, which, in all fairness, is something all Catholics should do. Just for priests, it's more in depth and they take more of a leadership role in doing things like sharing the word of God.
There is a difference between priests and non-priests in the respect that non-priests look to priests to lead them in spiritual matters (or at least I do). It's not like non-priests can go and do everything that priests do. It's more than just a job, it's a vocation, a way of life.
I really don't know about women becoming priests. It doesn't sit right with me, probably because my parents and the rest of my family are so conservatively Catholic. But I do think it takes something away from women-the ability to be a spiritual leader, in the respect of performing sacraments and leading religious services. I mean, sure, women could go become nuns, but it's really not the same at all. And I think that's why people are in such an uproar about it. In this day and age, people say it borders on sexism to deny opportunities to women that are given to men, no matter how old the doctrine.
I hope this made sense. I'm still learning about my faith, and you're actually really helping me, Michael. Thanks!

Lori P. said...

Hi, I personally look to scripture as God's guide book for life for us. We are all part of the same body under Christ as believers in Him, but have different gifts and abilities. One is not more important than another. Every one contributes. As it talks about in Ephesians 4:11.
"It was He who gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, that is, to build up the body of Christ,until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God – a mature person, attaining to the measure of Christ’s full stature. So we are no longer to be children, tossed back and forth by waves and carried about by every wind of teaching by the trickery of people who craftily carry out their deceitful schemes. But practicing the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into Christ, who is the head. From him the whole body grows, fitted and held together through every supporting ligament. As each one does its part, the body grows in love." I've learned from great male & female Bible teachers alike.

Anonymous said...

Michael, I just want to go and give you a big hug right now and also an appaluse and demand an encore!!!:):):):):) I am cheering you on, because you are speaking up for the Catholic Church and God against the world. It goes like this: Go, Michael, go and speak on, brother!!! I bet God is beaming and pleased right now at all the truth that you are saying. God Bless you!!!:)

Anonymous said...

Thank you I wasn't fond of your last post but its better now that you explained it sorry for my RAGE streak earlier