Sunday, March 3, 2013

Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Chill (Chapter 16)

Here is Chapter 16 of my fanfic, Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Chill. Today, Nancy talks with Hal Tanaka and Detective Beech.

---

Nancy went to visit Hal Tanaka. The studious Japanese teenager was currently writing an essay.

"Hey, Hal," Nancy said. "Look, I know you're innocent, but let's go through the motions anyway. I just learned that you plagiarized your senior essay, and Jake knew about it."

Hal's face immediately fell. "Yes, Nancy," he said. "I am...so ashamed."

"You could expelled for plagiarism," Nancy said. "Why'd you do it?"

"I'm taking too many classes right now," Hal said. "And I can't drop any classes, because I have to become a doctor. I didn't have time to write a full essay!"

"I see," Nancy said. "So what did Jake do when he found out?"

"He blackmailed me into doing his homework for the rest of the year," Hal said. "Now I have even less time to write essays!"

"But now that he's dead, you have your free time back," Nancy said. "And nobody knows about your plagiarism escapade. Sounds like a pretty good motive to me."

"I did not kill Jake Rogers!" Hal protested. "I value human life!"

"You're still at the top of my suspect list," Nancy said seriously. "Well, to be honest, you're #3 on the list, because I put all the names in alphabetical order. But you're still near the top!"

With that cautionary warning, Nancy turned around and left the room. She also left the school, going straight for Maxine's Diner. It was time for her to check in with her useless sidekick for this case, Detective Beech.

"Yo, Detective B, what's up?" Nancy said.

"Not much going on at my end," Detective Beech said. "I've been sitting here, drinking coffee, keeping an eye on the diner."

"I, uh, appreciate the help," Nancy said. She had no idea why he thought it was important to guard an empty diner, but then again, he was kind of odd.

"What's new on your end?" Beech asked. "Did you find the notebook yet?"

"No, but it turns out that Hal Tanaka was being blackmailed by Jake," Nancy said. "And thanks to information from Jake's locker, I'm pretty sure that Hulk Sanchez is taking steroids to help out his football game."

"Do you think Jake was blackmailing the Hulk, too?" Beech asked.

"There's more," Nancy said. "Connie went out with Jake, even though she really didn't want to. I'm guessing he blackmailed her into doing it."

"So he was a serial blackmailer!" Detective Beech said.

"I'm not done yet," Nancy said. "Two minutes ago, I got a text message from Aunt Eloise." Nancy held up her phone so Detective Beech could read it.

Jake Rogers was a monster. He blackmailed me into ignoring his overdue library book fines! Now those twelve cents will never be repaid! I don't know what to do!

"Jake Rogers was a bad kid," Beech agreed.

3 comments:

Breanna(; said...

I don't know what aunt eloise is going to do either(: hahaha thats funny.

Anonymous said...

i cant wait to hear your voice in the game :)

Fox racing forever said...

Too funny!!(;