Thursday, March 28, 2013

Fanfiction First Names

I want to complain about the naming system they use over at fanfiction.net, the Internet's main fanfiction website.  For some reason, their naming system does not use full names.  They only use first names.

For example, "Bart Simpson" is listed as "Bart S.", "Nancy Drew" is listed as "Nancy D.", and Harry Potter is listed as "Harry P."

I don't understand why they can't just use the full names for every character.  Is it really better to replace "Mickey Mouse" with "Mickey M."?  I can't tell you how many times I've seen a character list and had to guess at the character's last name.

The "first names only" system completely falls apart, whenever there's a character who is known by their last name.  Anyone like Mr. Darcy or Professor Layton or Dr. Frankenstein gets their recognizable name shaved off, in favor of the first name no one knows.  The "first names only" system also dies, if there are multiple characters with the same first name.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate that! Especially if I only know a character's first name and they use their last name D:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, trust me, I find that annoying, but another thing that's annoying is those parts "Character names" list where there's a character name that's just the first name without the last name, example: They use "Michael" instead of "Michael G." Sorry, I had to use you as an example, but things like what I show you do exist.

Miss. Cellaneous said...

Hershel L.... If I thought about it for a while, I may remember that that was the professor, but still!

Anonymous said...

I do not know why, but maybe you can ask.

Anonymous said...

Well actually when it comes to if a character is known by last name then they use that. For example, Hagrid in Harry Potter is listed as R. Hagrid.

Tom said...

Amazing!
I like your post,visit my homepage here:

best kitchen faucets 2013