Saturday, March 9, 2013

Equestria Girls

We've had a little bit of news about Equestria Girls, the spin-off series to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.  This TV series is aimed at older audiences.  The premise of the series is that our favorite pony friends have somehow become humans, and they're now going to high school.

Here is artwork of the new series, which comes from The New York Times.


Click for the full-sized image, if you dare...

...That is just creepy.  I mean...no. NO.  How did no one on the show's development team notice the hideous character designs?  I'm not sure what scares me most: the cheek tattoos, the pony ears, or the boots that are larger than their heads.

The sad part, in my opinion, is that the Internet has thousands of pictures, with the ponies drawn as humans.  Heck, even I tweeted a picture like that.  The producers had no shortage of humanized pony material to draw upon for inspiration.

You know what, forget Equestria Girls. I'm going to pretend that the following picture has the offical human versions of the ponies.  Because unlike the real thing, this picture doesn't give me nightmares.

11 comments:

Breanna(; said...

Those character designs are awful. It looks more like a horror movie then a cartoon.

Miss. Cellaneous said...

FINALLY someone agrees with me!

alan050 said...

to be fair, it's all just rumors at this point, even the new york times article isn't an official announcement from Hasbro. i personally think this is just concept art, but i shall wait for the official word from Hasbro before i even begin to form an opinion. we don't even know at this point if there will even be a TV series, maybe it will just be a toyline.

Katie said...

I seriously hope they change this. I apologize for the rant, but I feel like they're ruining aspects of what makes the original show so fantastic. They're taking a show that focus positive self image and growth not based on physical appearance and moving toward enforcing a negative and unachievable (and seriously just terffying) body image for young girls. Ugh.

Ali said...

I definitely prefer the bottom picture! The top one instantly reminded me of Monster High.

Miriam said...

I like the bottom picture a lot better, except for Rarity and Fluttershy. Rarity would be wearing something much more fashionable than that, and that Fluttershy kind of looks like a granny with pink hair..

Anonymous said...

"The ponies have somehow become human, and are now going to highschool"?? THAT'S the premise? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! That sounds like the plot of a mediocre fanfiction!

Nana Mion said...

I totally favor the bottom photo over the top one.

Anonymous said...

I agree the,top one is creepy

Anonymous said...

This. Has just destroyed. My childhood.

Miss. Cellaneous said...

Oh, and to make things worse, I've heard that Spike is supposed to be a dog (twilight's pet) in Equestria Girls. As if I needed another reason not to watch it...