Friday, February 15, 2013

Godzilla (1998)

Yesterday, I got to watch Godzilla (1998) on VHS, with the various children at the homeless shelter.  I remember the first time I saw that movie.  It was the first PG-13 movie I ever watched; in fact, we rented it from the video store, for my 13th birthday.

Here are my thoughts on watching it for the second time:
  • The reporter in this movie had a really familiar voice, and it took me a few minutes to realize that he's played by the guy who does Kent Brockman on The Simpsons.
  • Godzilla is really, really good at dodging in this movie. He dodges missiles and torpedos, like it's nothing.  For such a big target, he's deceptively hard to hit.
  • Is there a reason nobody bothered to check if Godzilla was really dead?  I mean, it's a monster movie.  You always want to make sure the monster is dead.
  • As the movie goes on, the politicians get involved. First, they bring in the Mayor of New York.  Then, then they bring in the Governor.  Then, they bring in...no one else.  Was the President on vacation at the time, or did he just not care about New York?
  • Some of the reviews I'm seeing for this movie are unnecessarily harsh.  It's a Godzilla movie; of course it doesn't have a plot much deeper than "a giant monster attacks New York".  Were you honestly expecting this movie to rival Hamlet in its complexity?
My final impressions?  It's an action movie with lots of CGI and things exploding.  If you like that, cool.  You might like this movie. The kids certainly seemed to enjoy it.

No comments: