Friday, January 11, 2013

Top Ten Games of 2012

I played about sixteen games in 2012. In no particular order, here are the ten games I thought were the best.
  1. Twilight Phenomena: Lodgers of House 13 was a rocking horror game.  The plot makes no sense in retrospect, but it had a good number of scares.
  2. Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective was so-so.  The scenes and mysteries were good; the solutions to the mysteries were bad.  The game gets bonus points for having Sherlock Holmes actually resemble Sherlock Holmes, unlike the last few adaptations.
  3. Inappropriate Llama Disaster was a quick, ridiculous game.  It's hard to go wrong with silly llamas on roller skates.
  4. The Grunts: Beard of Bees was a quick iPad game.  You'll play it twice, then delete it.  The concept of the game--based off a children's book--is ridiculous enough to be humorous.
  5. The 7th Guest really shouldn't be on this list, because it's not very good.  And that makes me sad, because there is clearly a good game inside it, just waiting to be released.  Hmmm...okay, I'll say that I'm giving this game bonus points, because the iPad version cut out the annoying "memorize a 25 note sequence" piano puzzle.  Getting rid of that was definitely a good call.
  6. Resonance was good enough, I suppose.  The inventory system was kind of weird, but the Gruff Cop character was fantastic.  I should replay it someday, to determine how much I like it.
  7. Cherry Tree High Comedy Club was a nice effort.  Replaying the game to get the special ending is a humongous pain, though; it needs a fast-forward button.
  8. Death Upon an Austrian Sonata was rather fun. I would not recommend spending the extra money for the collector's edition, though.  Many puzzles in the epilogue section feel like they were removed from the main game for a reason.
  9. Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device was fantastic!  They did a great job of charting out the game and how things should go.  Storywise, it fits perfectly into a three-act layout, with the first and third acts being distinct and balanced in length.  I liked the characters, too; I'm going to keep doing the Victor impersonation for a while now.
  10. Nancy Drew: Tomb of the Lost Queen was our first experience with the new interface and the larger screen.  It was a good transition to the new system, and I happened to like exploring in the game.  Other people had issues with it, but I didn't think it was that bad.

3 comments:

2NancyDrew said...

iv got 2 questens 4 u and i really really really hope youll awnser them #1 have you ever listend to the band owl city? #2 (has to do with #1 and is not really a questen) i think you look like Addam Young hes the singer in owl city if you havent listend to owl city you should listen to eather Rainbow Vains, Vanilla Twlight,or Good Time!

p.s.
I hope you dont hate me for alwies asking you questions

Katie said...

Michael, have you ever played the Adventure Company Agatha Christie games? They're a little old now, but I think you'd like them! :)

Stephanie TheWildfireEffect said...

This is such a great fit for you,

You must try out the interactive web series Guidestones if you like games and Nancy Drew like mystery stories.

Here is a brief overview, please let me know if you loved it like I do.


To Blogs http://bit.ly/b3eGuidestones

Steph