- Twilight Phenomena: Lodgers of House 13 was a rocking horror game. The plot makes no sense in retrospect, but it had a good number of scares.
- Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective was so-so. The scenes and mysteries were good; the solutions to the mysteries were bad. The game gets bonus points for having Sherlock Holmes actually resemble Sherlock Holmes, unlike the last few adaptations.
- Inappropriate Llama Disaster was a quick, ridiculous game. It's hard to go wrong with silly llamas on roller skates.
- The Grunts: Beard of Bees was a quick iPad game. You'll play it twice, then delete it. The concept of the game--based off a children's book--is ridiculous enough to be humorous.
- The 7th Guest really shouldn't be on this list, because it's not very good. And that makes me sad, because there is clearly a good game inside it, just waiting to be released. Hmmm...okay, I'll say that I'm giving this game bonus points, because the iPad version cut out the annoying "memorize a 25 note sequence" piano puzzle. Getting rid of that was definitely a good call.
- Resonance was good enough, I suppose. The inventory system was kind of weird, but the Gruff Cop character was fantastic. I should replay it someday, to determine how much I like it.
- Cherry Tree High Comedy Club was a nice effort. Replaying the game to get the special ending is a humongous pain, though; it needs a fast-forward button.
- Death Upon an Austrian Sonata was rather fun. I would not recommend spending the extra money for the collector's edition, though. Many puzzles in the epilogue section feel like they were removed from the main game for a reason.
- Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device was fantastic! They did a great job of charting out the game and how things should go. Storywise, it fits perfectly into a three-act layout, with the first and third acts being distinct and balanced in length. I liked the characters, too; I'm going to keep doing the Victor impersonation for a while now.
- Nancy Drew: Tomb of the Lost Queen was our first experience with the new interface and the larger screen. It was a good transition to the new system, and I happened to like exploring in the game. Other people had issues with it, but I didn't think it was that bad.
Friday, January 11, 2013
Top Ten Games of 2012
I played about sixteen games in 2012. In no particular order, here are the ten games I thought were the best.