Friday, January 25, 2013

Oregon DMV

I've been living in Oregon for over a month, but the State of Oregon still doesn't recognize me as an official resident.  This is partially because I'm renting the house from a family friend, as opposed to a house-renting company.  It took me three weeks to get the post office to deliver mail to my new address.

I went to the DMV today, to try to get them to accept me as a new resident.  Their rules were kind of strict.  For example, they did not accept my California Driver's License as a valid ID.  I'm not sure why the DMV thinks driver's licenses are an invalid form of ID.  Fortunately, I had my US passport, which worked.

Once all the paperwork was done, they forced me to take the written driver's test.  Again, I'm not sure why I need to take a driver's test to become an Oregon citizen.  I was completely unprepared for the test--I haven't taken one in eight years--so I failed.  Sort of like how I failed my driver's test five times.

I have to wait a week, before I can retake the test. In the meantime, Oregon considers me to be a resident alien, rather than a naturalized citizen.  You'd think they would make it a bit easier to become a member of their state; the sooner I'm a resident, the sooner I pay taxes!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, there is no such thing as a citizen of a U.S. state. You are only a citizen of the U.S., and nothing less. Why not check the rules of the place, and don't forget to ask if you are confused about certain things!

Katie said...

Michael's at least some what right. When you move to a new state you need to officially become a "resident" of that state. For example, I had family move from Florida to Minnesota who had to go through the whole residency process (i.e. living there for a certain amount of time before you can get an MN driver's license, etc.). So while you're right in that he's a citizen of the U.S., he has to become an official resident of Oregon.

And, if you do read this Michael, MN also requires that you take the written portion of the drivers test and a vision exam to become an official resident of MN. I can understand why to some degree, but it's such a pain...

Michael Gray said...

I used general immigration terminology, to make this post easier to understand. I didn't want to complicate matters with more specific terminology (with more limited usage).

Anonymous said...

You failed your drivers test five times ??
Well, truthfully I'm not looking forward to mine either, I'm aiming for less than 25 fails
I'm better at Mario kart lol

Anonymous said...

I know what u mean(: