Thursday, January 17, 2013

Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Chill (Chapter 9)

Here is Chapter 9 of my fanfic, Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Chill. Today, Nancy meets Hal Tanaka, the Japanese exchange student.

---

Nancy left the lounge and went to the study hall, which was very close by. The only person in the room was an Asian boy, who looked like he was wearing a shirt that was too big for him.

"Hey there," Nancy said. "What's your name?"

"I'm Hal Tanaka," the student said. "Actually, my real first name is Halloween, but Hal is my nickname. I shortened it when I moved here from Japan."

"Why do you think it's easier to have an American name?" Nancy asked.

"I want to fit in and be part of the culture here in America," Hal said. "In fact, I want to live here permanently. Right now, I'm just a foreign exchange student."

"I'm from another state, so I guess I'm kind of an exchange student myself," Nancy said. "My name's Nancy Drew."

"It is nice to meet you, Nancy," Hal said. "You picked a bad time to come visit Paseo Del Mar High School, I am afraid. Everyone is very stressed out about the murder."

"Did you know the victim?" Nancy asked.

"I feel uncomfortable talking about this right now," Hal said, grabbing onto his arm. "Please, excuse me."

He then leaned forward and looked at the books on the table in front of him.

"Uh..." Nancy said. Hal didn't appear to be doing anything.

First Connie, now Hal, Nancy thought. Does every student at this school excuse themselves from conversations, only to remain in place?

"What are you doing?" Nancy asked.

"Studying," Hal said. "I must get good grades on all my exams, if I want to get a scholarship and become a doctor."

"Do you know Connie Watson?" Nancy asked. Nancy wasn't sure how she knew Connie's last name, but now wasn't the time to worry about small details.

"Yes, we've been in a few classes together," Hal said. "She was dating Jake Rogers."

Nancy's jaw dropped. "But she thought he was a creep!" she said. "Why would she date him?"

"Maybe she did not learn he was a creep until after the date," Hal said. "I do not know. I have a hard time understanding girls and dating."

"Really?" Nancy asked.

"Yes," Hal said. He could still remember one particularly disastrous meeting he had with a girl, back in Japan. Her name was Yumi Shimizu, and she worked at a bento stand. Hal had stopped by the stand to get some lunch.

"Hello," Hal said. "The weather is nice today."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Yumi asked. "Are you breaking up with me?"

"Breaking up? But you are not my girlfriend," Hal said. "I have never even met you—"

"Not your girlfriend?" Yumi asked. "So you are breaking up with me! Jerk!"

"I think there has been a misunderstanding—" Hal said.

"I'll smother you with bento!" Yumi shouted. She started throwing boxes at Hal, forcing him to retreat into a nearby conference room.

"Girls are strange sometimes," Hal said to Nancy.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I quite enjoyed Hal's flashback. Very nice. ^.^

Anonymous said...

XD Yumi and Hal...that's kinda scary

2NancyDrew said...

i agree Yumie=verry verry scarry

Stephan rose said...

"I'LL SMOTHER YOU WITH BENTO!!!"

Anonymous said...

Hi, i believe that i saw you visited my
weblog thus i came to go back the favor?.I am attempting to find things to enhance my site!
I assume its ok to use a few of your ideas!!
Feel free to surf my webpage :: play online for real money

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beach front with my kids.
I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her ear and
screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.

She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell someone!
Also visit my site - popular facebook games

Anonymous said...

you are truly a excellent webmaster. The site loading velocity is incredible.

It kind of feels that you're doing any distinctive trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you've done a
great job in this matter!
My weblog :: best preferred stocks

Anonymous said...

Magnificent website. Plenty of useful information here.
I am sending it to a few pals ans additionally sharing in delicious.
And of course, thanks on your effort!
Also visit my web-site ; facebook advertising

Anonymous said...

Hi would you mind letting me know which web host you're using? I've loaded your blog in 3 different
browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then
most. Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider
at a fair price? Kudos, I appreciate it!
Also visit my page ; best online blackjack sites

CTipp said...

Nice Hal saying You are not my girlfriend"
XD

Anonymous said...

Does anyone else get tired of the advertising useless commenters?
Get out advertiser, or I'LL SMOTHER YOU WITH BENTO!!!!!